What's the best 2x10 powered combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LA, Jun 30, 2002.

1. LA

Oct 17, 2001
    I need a recommendation on a 2x10 powered combo amp as the church I play at is going to spring for a new in-house bass amp to replace the TNT-130 (it's gonna break my heart, I know). It's gotta be at least 200W with provision for an extension cab. Any recommendations?
  2. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    the swr 2x10 combo, i think its the redhead. i played it a few times and its by far the best combo amp ive ever played. Its pretty pricy, especially if your moving from the TNT, but DEFINATELY worth the money.
  3. virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    The Gallien Krueger 700rb 210 and 1000rb 210 combos are pretty nice,they bi-amp the internal speakers and have a luggage style handle/caster system that makes them easier to move around,and even the 1000,which has more power than either the 700 or the SWR Redhead,is around $300 cheaper than the SWR.
  4. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Here's another plug for the GK combos. I tried one side by side to a SWR Redhead combo and to me the GK sounded better. Less bulky and easier to haul around.
  5. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Eden's Metro is a killer combo, but also killer on your wallet and feels like the heaviest of the lot. an SWR Redhead is also nice and good for the dough. my contract rider used to specifically ask for an SWR combo. found it to be pretty ubiquituous, and one of the more consistent combos i've used. Heard good things about Peavey's BAM, but my own findings feels its a little on the flimsily built side. the knobs were plastic and felt like they could break off easily. I like GK's tone and quality overall, and have used their M150E combo's on several occassions. great little guy, that i'm sure its bigger 2x10 brethren sound just as good.
  6. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Played through 'em all, one wins hands down:

Eden DC-210XLT Metro.

More flexible, more powerful, and less expensive than the SWR SuperRedhead. The weight is very similar, and they both come with casters, so carrying for long distances is not really an issue for either.

I also happen to know where a used one in very good conditon happens to be sitting....;)

(PM me if your interested :D)
  7. some guy#2

some guy#2

Feb 3, 2001
    GET the Metro & no one will be disappointed...I swear!
  8. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Genz Benz makes a powerful but affordable 2x10 combo. I definatley say give one a try if you get the chance. I honestly think GB is going to be the next big thing when it comes to bass amplification.
  9. JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    i played a nemesis 2x10 combo recently. 200 watts, lighter than any combo ive ever lifted before...it sounds good, and thats about all i know...it was VIHBASS's, you might want to ask him about it.
  10. LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Yep, I like the looks of that one...
  11. 44me

Jun 17, 2002
    Bedford, NH USA
    I’ve had a Nemesis 210 combo for several years. It’s a great amp, especially for the price. It’s got great tone, though not as good as the Eden Metro. However, it’s a lot cheaper, and a lot lighter (less than 50Lbs!). It puts out 225W and has a jack for an extension cabinet. The extension cabinet connects in series with the internal speakers, so power output drops a bit. It also has a post-EQ balanced output that you can run straight to the PA (nice stage monitor for larger gigs). My feeling is that if you want a 210 combo, go for something that’s small and light. I don’t get the larger, heaver combos. The Eden DC-210XLT is a really nice amp, but it’s as big as a 410 and weighs about 80Lbs. I’d buy a WT400 head and a separate 210 cabinet long before I’d get one of the larger combos – more power, more flexibility, less weight, and the rig will more easily fit in a small car. For my ideal of a 210 combo, the Nemesis is among the closest to the mark.
  12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Another vote for Nemesis.

I think Eden is great choice, but its expensive, so I recommend Nemesis.

Ive had mine for about 8 months now, and I couldnt be happier. Its failry lightweight, powerful, versitile, and sounds really really sweet. It sounds like it should cost alot more, but it doesnt.

13. Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    go with the eden...they are sweet, but if you don't care for it go with the GK they real nice and have some awesome features.
  14. 44me

Jun 17, 2002
    Bedford, NH USA
    By the way, if you are not aware, Nemesis is made by Eden. It's their value line. Same great engineering & quality construction, but less features and power.
  15. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay

Nemesis is Eden's value line, but not in the way that Squire is Fender's value line.

The sound is great, the construction is better IMO (Lighter stronger materials, but same quality as far as construction), and the features, while less in number, are versitile and sound nearly as good if not as good.

Oh and the speakers are the same Eden designs, but the frames are stamped instead of cast. I dont knoow if that really makes a difference other than cost, but they sound great.

16. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i am a die hard SWR man but i would have to say 1)nemisis 2) genz benz 3)metro 4)redhead the swr just doesnt give the sound i like. the nemisis is light and has some serious butt end. the genz is aweinspiring for the dough. i am a peavey man too but i dont like any of they're 2x10 combo's. if you descide to go with the metro or the redhead i say rethink it and go with either a 2x10 cab/head combo or a power amp/pre/cab combo. this would give you a hell of a lot more room to grow. also don't overlook 12's.
  17. 44me

Jun 17, 2002
    Bedford, NH USA
    If you do look for a used Nemesis, make sure you get one with the finned heat sink on the back. The older ones without the heat sink tended to run hot, and with hard playing would go into thermal shutdown.
  18. What is the point in bi-amping if both the speakers are the same size??
  19. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I also like the Redhead.