What's the best 5 string for metal ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ToStogyDX, Mar 31, 2001.

1. I wanna get a good 5 string for my metal band and I have no clue which one to get. I know Fieldy sucks and he uses an Ibanez and all, and his is so tricked that it barely has a name, but those Ibanez basses catch my attention. I was wondering what sounds the best, what has the most low end and all. I have picked up a few warwicks, those things are too god damned heavy. Hope you can help
  2. I have a custom made Jackson 5 string. It's no ordinary bass, though. You see, I bought it off the Megadeth auction. It was custom built for David Ellefson, so it doesn't get much more metal than that. I'd say try out Jackson. They're solid. Ibanez aren't bad either. Of course there's Fender, and Carvin makes some great basses for cheap. As far as best bass for metal, I think your amp setup, pedals, etc. would be more important for that metal sound. Almost any bass is good for metal, so go try 'em out!
  3. fat jonny

fat jonny

Jul 8, 2000
    Columbus Ohio
    I gotta ibanez EDB-605 which is the ergodyne series. It sounds Really good for metal and for some reason it sounds better with really thick distorted guitars than my Fender jazz. Its built pretty good, plays really well and the body is curved really strangely but it kinda hugs your body and that makes it easier to play. The only thing i dont like is that the B string is really floppy but this could probably be fixed by some setup adjustment or a different string gauge. i would reccomend it strongly for your purposes.
  4. Ryknow305

Mar 31, 2001
    STL Missouri
    I own a 5-string Ibanez...The exact one Fieldy uses...Its a Sound Gear (abv. on bass is SDGR)...I luv it and plays well...The strings aren't too heavy and the audio kix so much @$$!The DX5 pickups are the best...Mine was about $359.99 + my hardshell case + tax... Total $565.00...
  5. Jake15

Jan 17, 2001
    USA, PA
    The stingray 5 is awsome for metal. It has some serious low end and the active electronics give it shreiking highs.You can get them used for much less that list.You should definatly look for one and try it out.
  6. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Hey "Ryknow305", the Soundgear you have is absolutely NOTHING like the ones Fieldy plays. His would cost many thousands of dollars for you to buy.

I wouldn't advise the poster to buy a Soundgear; the weak necks and bad pickups are not good selling points, imo. I wouldn't advise it at all.

But, the Stingray wouldnt be bad. Warwicks are great too, but it just depends on what you want to spend.
  7. Spector is great. I don't think i need to say more than that, check out the Czech Spectors, get in on the MF madness right now while it lasts
  8. David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany

look at the ESH Stinger

That one`s great.

9. don't know what you wanna spend,but I was recently lookin at a MTD 5(korean made I think)for about $350.and I was quite impressed with it.35in. scale makes for a tight b string and a music man style p\u was versitile enough for most styles but real good for metal(very fat sound)and you won't break the bank
  10. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Like MrFortuneCookie said!!! Spector NS-5 CR. There is a mad blow out on Musician Friend. You could get one for as low as $799. List price is $1999.
  11. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    If you've got a lot of money to spend look into Modulus. They have graphite necks and they can really cut through the mix. David Ellefson uses Modulus basses too.
  12. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    another vote for the czech made spector ns5cr. fat and powerful sound. and two hot EMG soapbar.
    nuff said
  13. Ryknow305

Mar 31, 2001
    STL Missouri
  14. Jake15

Jan 17, 2001
    USA, PA
    With that font u must be nuts!!!
  15. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I second THAT!!
    And the DX5 Pickups just plain SUCK.
    The Preamp the SR305 is just an electronics toy made out of a radio shack kit (of course not, but you get what i mean), I think it is even Passive.

The 305 is no way comparable to the 1305 that Fieldy Uses(Can you notice the 305 + 1000 upgrade?) also his bass must be heavily modified.
    I even think he is using now the 3005 or something like that.

Did you pay $200 for the HARDSHELL CASE??
  16. alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    If you go with the Ibanez make sure to replace the pickups. Ryknow305 is being a little egotisticle and ignorant. I have an Ibanez SR 405 (cuz i'm poor) and hate the DX5 pickups, that's why I am currently replacing them. You might want to try some EMG pups if you do get an Ibanez. But other then that they sound pretty good for rock and are inexpensive.
  17. dude man...i don't even care...i just want an Ibanez Soundgear 5-string...i'm lookin for an SR-305...and to those Spector people...i'm backin you guys up to...that $475 NS-2000 Q5 is tempting, man!!!...is that one a 5-string?...I'M STILL ONE THE LOOKOUT FOR ANYONE ON TALKBASS THAT IS SELLING A 5-STRING SOUNDGEAR!!!...ANYONE?!?!
  18. alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    Well.. How much are you looking to spend? I have an SR 405 that I wouldn't be too pained to let go.
  19. i was looking to spend around $200 something for a 5-string soundgear...condtiong doesn't matter...but the fretboard and electronics need to be in perfect condition...scratches on the body won't bother me
  20. I'll give a vote for either Nino's Spector NS2000Q5 or a Czech Spector from MF. I have a Q5 and I like it a lot.