1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Whats the best 8 ohm cab combination for a SD800?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by XXL, Aug 17, 2007.

1. XXL

XXL

Jun 14, 2007
    Hello
    I have a Markbass SD800 and Ive been using it with an Avatar B212 Neo (4 ohm) for the most part. I also have an Ampeg 8x10 that I use for bigger gigs or for when I need to be louder.
    Now Ive been wrestling lately with this idea of getting another 2x12 cab in 8 ohm and adding another 8 ohm cab.. Ive noticed lately that the SD800 is hungry for more wattage when I play with just 2 12s.
    I like the idea of 2x12s and adding a 2x10, is this a good match (sound) for a class D amp? or 3 12s? I most definatly want 12s and I dont want 4x10s. Maybe a light weight 15 paired with 12s?
    I like the idea of portable I have room in my car for a smaller size cab to bring with the 2 12s.. Any suggestions?

2. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

do not mix cabs of different ohms ...
    the SD800 will stop working if you do ,
    as in , dead , fried , burned out .

please read your owners manual ...

the SD800 is a great amp , i know ,
    i own one myself !

use either two 8 ohm cabs , or one 4 ohm cab only ...

3. XXL

XXL

Jun 14, 2007
    David Meissner,
    Thanks for the concern but I have indeed looked through my owners manual and noticed it doesnt have a 2 ohm function.(None of the Markbass amps have 2 ohm function)
    I know that I cant use a 4ohm 212 and a 8 ohm 2x10 or 15, 12 etc.
    I did state in my original post that I'd like to get a 2x12 in 8 ohm and try another driver size in another 8 ohm. Thats the info i was looking for..also wondering if class D amps have a better sound using specific driver matches.

4. XXL

XXL

Jun 14, 2007
    anybody?

5. DaveDeVille

ok cool ,
    i guess in your first post it sounds like you already use 4 ohm Avatar ,
    and were thinking about adding two 8 ohm cabs to it ...
    it's kinda hard to read your post .

sorry if i misunderstood .
    :meh:

i am using a 1-15" 8 ohm , with a 2-10" 8 ohm cab , sounds killer ...

:D

6. XXL

XXL

Jun 14, 2007
    Oh I see, I am currently using a 4 0hm 2 12, but Id like to swap that out and get just two 8 ohms cabs of different driver sizes.

Sorry for the confusion

Id like to stay in the 212s.. But does the one 15 and 210s sound good with the SD800?

Thanks

7. DaveDeVille

:bassist::D