what's the best accessory?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by melissalmurphy, Jul 11, 2001.

1. melissalmurphy

Jul 11, 2001
    dallas, tx
    i'm looking for a nice, full, bass sound. i don't slap/pop. i want a good, rock-n-roll sound. nice low end and clear. what sort of accessories do i need? i was looking at a tech 21 sansamp. is that my best bet?
  2. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Yeee Hawww! :p Welcome to TB M/M! :) Big D no less!

It looks like ya' got a pretty solid set-up...is there
    not much EQ on that P/V head? What sorta' strings
    on that Jazz? How much you lookin' to $pend?

I don't have a sansamp, but I think it gets a lotta'
    good reviews. You can probably find some by clickin'
    on "search" (top o' the page).
  3. melissalmurphy

Jul 11, 2001
    dallas, tx
    my setup's not bad at all. i just have a guitar player who gets a little crazy sometimes, and i want to make sure i'm holding it down while he's setting his guitar on fire or whatever he does :)

i just want to add a little extra to my sound. my guitarist wants me to use digital effects, but we set one up and it sounded terrible.
  4. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    In that case, I think a Sansamp is an excellent call (click)

For a few less bucks, a Boss EQ or compressor might work
    for ya'. They're each ~$70 at Musician's Friend (M/F wants
    ~$190 for the Sansamp). I got a foot-switchable EQ on my
    Mesa head. Kickin' it "on" definitely adds a boost and allows
    the sound to cut through while "Hendrix" is doin' their thang.
  5. the sansamp also supposedly has a nice overdrive, which helps to fatten out the mix while Hendorikusu Watanabe tears it up.
  6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

IMO, groupies are about the nicest bass accessory I can think of.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled program - I took a chance on a SansAmp Bass Driver to get a particular sound I heard at a concert.

The SansAmp didn't even come close to the sound I was after. But what it did for my sound otherwise was so good, I kept it anyway.

Think-- - your present rig + steroids and weight lifting.
    That's one big thing the SansAmp BD can do for your sound.
  7. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Ya' notice how in their description, they use terms like "SVT",
    "Bassman", and "Tube Amplifier Emulation circuitry" ? :D
    On the other hand, at 14 ounces, it's a lot easier to tote around.

Yeah, yeah...I'm a tube snob! I got bored waitin' for my B-15
    to warm up. I'll go now :p .
  8. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    I am a big believer in the Sansamp. Unfortunately I sent mine in to get fixed and am rightnow sans-Sansamp. I think it added a ton to my sound. If I had a better amp, it probably wouldn't make that much difference though. Don't take this wrong. I haven't heard Peavy or Fender amps being hands down praised for their sound (I am sure they are fine) as say an Ampeg, Ashdown, SWR and others. You ought to try one out.

I also have a Boss eq. pedal. I don't use it all of the time. I usually have it set to boost low and top end and to cut the mid. I set the gain so that it doesn't increase the volume but just a bit. It is nice to give it that super deep tone that shakes stuff in the house and church. Like I said I just stomp it on only during a few songs to just to change it up a bit.

I know some are big fans of Chorus to fill out some sound. Octave pedals are popular to give a bigge wall of sound too.

I heard a demo of one Guyatone pedal that would probably do just what I do with my eq. pedal. Check it out here: http://www.buzzfox.com/bass.html

It is the bass bottom blaster.
  9. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

I just got a sansamp and I like it. It will finally get tested out tonight with the full band. I previously had a Peavey tube preamp which sounded great by itself but I got lost in the mix with the full band. I think the sansamp is not going to have that problem and I'm not sure I'd ever want to go without it (unless I get a good tube pre) in the future. If you get a sansamp it will be worth your while to check the price at www.chucklevins.com - you'll have to email to get a quote but it's less than any other place I found (although I cheated and got GC to match the price when I was picking up some stuff locally).

I have a Zoom BFX-708 (digital) which I like for playing around with effects but the bypass degrades my tone (I think) so I don't use it much. I don't like any of the patches to leave on for "straight" playing. I'm planning on getting a true bypass pedal so I can use it when I want and not suffer tone degradation.

Other things to look at:
    - Bass Pod & other amp emulators (amp emulation & effects)
    - tube preamps (alembic F1-X, etc.)
    - Sadowsky preamp/headphone amp/DI

I haven't tried any of these but some people love any and all of them.
  10. melissalmurphy

Jul 11, 2001
    dallas, tx
    if i were to get the sansamp driver, would i need the compression pedal?
  11. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    The Sansamp has a hint of compression on it already. I am not a big fan of compression, but then again I just have a cruddy compression on my amp that I use when I am slapping (which is almost never). If you are playing finger style and keep it prety controlled I wouldn't think you would need it. My understanding compression is that it takes out the peaks and valleys in volume. Actually I am not sure that is 100% right though. I don't think I need it you said you are not a slapper, so I wouldn't imagine you would need it.

I think that you are looking to add and augment your sound and not take away. I don't think that compression really changes the sound that much.

I am not a salesman for Tech 21. I highly doubt that you will be disapointed with the sound.

I was looking for a more growly sound. I did not get exactly what I was looking for, but man the sound was awesome coming out of there. i am about to cry cause I don't have it right now.
  12. bootyquake

Mar 29, 2001
    Washington, DC
    There's no distortion to the SansAmp Bass Driver DI, but I was really excited to hear what a great boost it was. Plus with balanced output, you can run right into a P.A. with a much fuller sound. Perfect for smaller jazz gigs with no amp, recording, or bigger gigs that require direct PA input.
  13. rickbass

The SansAmp doesn't necessitate a compression unit for any reason. (Who's been putting that in your ear? The guitarist?)

Moreover, you said you don't slap or pop, so you have even less need for compression.

If you play music with lots of dynamics, (lots of volume variations within each song), a good bassist controls their dynamics with technique. That's no dis on compression. I use it a lot, but I have to slap and pop a lot.
  14. melissalmurphy

Jul 11, 2001
    dallas, tx
    yes, the guitarist put the compression idea in my ear. i'm feeling pretty good about the tech21 sansamp, and i think i'll get a chorus pedal for fun.
  15. rickbass

AH HA!!! Am I good or what? ;)

Seriously, if you've ever read mags for guitarists, rock guitarists are veeerrrry trendy and tend jump on whatever boxes the flavor-of-the-week is using. (That's one reason there a several pages of guitar effects in catalogs).

Just cya and buy from someplace that will take it back in case it just doesn't appeal to you. I doubt it though. You don't see used ones on the market.

Chorus is a real nice addition to bass. One of my fave bass effects.