Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's the best aftermarket P pickup for that 60's sound?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by philthygeezer, Apr 12, 2004.

1. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    Looking to make a cheap homemade job sound like a '64 P. Thoughts are currently Duncan SPB-2 and Bartolini.

Your thoughts appreciated.

2. An old Fender pickup if you can find one and maybe have it rewound. I know that the Fender Custom Shop makes 60's Jazz pickups but I am not sure if they also offer a 60's Precision pickup as well.

3. I have a Fender CS Original 62 in my 83 Pbass. I like it alot. Lindy Fralins are nice too but more $$$.

Jeff

4. Henko

Henko

Oct 15, 2002
    Sweden
    I've got a Duncan SPB-1 in my 80's Squier P-bass. It's got a great old school sound that cuts. Try it!

5. My situation was much like yours; trying to make an inexpensive instrument sound good. Here's another vote for the Fender CS Original 62. I have one in my inexpensive P-Bass clone and it sounds great...thick and fat, especially with flatwound strings. I get positive comments from other bass players about the tone...and I play traditional blues so the vintage sound is what I'm looking for. The Fralins and various Duncan/Basslines will also sound great but they will be substantially more expensive. I think Fender pretty much hit the nail on the head when they designed these pickups. For $50 - $60, you can't go wrong.

6. I vote No on the SPB-2... had one in my MIM P, and it was seriously mid-range honky.

Strings will make an impact also. I run TI Jazz flats on the P, and they are middy to my ears. Try LaBella flats, Fender 9050, or DA Chromes.

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Dimarzio Model P's give me a nice vintage vibe with Flats and a 15" speaker. With 10's and stainless rounds I can get some almost Hi-Fi sounds out of it.