1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Whats the best auto-wah/synth bass pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by IOA_Bassist, Oct 25, 2017.

1. IOA_Bassist

IOA_Bassist

Jan 28, 2014
    Essex
    Im heavily into my wah/auto wah atm the moment

I picked up a EHX Mini Q-Tron years ago and im looking to get some more, can anyone recommend any cool wah/auto-wah/synth bass pedals?

2. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    Earth
    All very different that you could justify having them all:

MXR Bass Envelope Filter
    Broughton Joshwah
    Iron Ether Xerograph Deluxe
    Malekko Scrutator

Swimming Bird and winterburn69 like this.
  3. There are so many that you can never touch them all. Dr Q, BassBalls, BassMicroSynth, Q-Tron are long time favorite of mine. I am also having a lot of fun with the selection of envelope followers on my Zoom pedals.

4. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    ***?

Spectrum likes this.
  5. Scrutator as an autowah?? I’ll have to play with mine more... I thought would only wah with expression pedals?

6. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph provider

By far, my favorite has always been the Digitech Bass Synth Wah: great filter, filter/octave, octave and crazy totally unusable synth stuff. I so regret selling mine. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

:rollno::rollno::rollno:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
    5corde, Shadowkast and Spectrum like this.
  7. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    If you like the EHX Micro but want more control over the filter check out the Riddle/Enigma. I have the former which is the guitar version but it has plenty of low end even without the blend.

riddle.png
    There is an internal trim pot to control the distortion which can be modded to the surface, I tend to just use other dirt before or after though.

All the controls are pretty interactive, the blend goes from 100% clean to wet, the start/stop have a huge range on each mode that together with the Q/sensitivity can dial in a ton of sounds.

I haven't even tried the exp pedal output, I still need to get one. But I imagine it makes it even more versatile. It's also very sensitive to the input level not surprisingly, so dirt before/after can make a big difference.

8. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    Earth
    It does only work with expression AFAIK, I never said otherwise! The OP was asking for wah and auto-wah options I thought.

9. Ahhh ok gotcha! I misread as a lot of the others were all auto... still need to play with it more for how the filter works without expression pedal tho!

For normal wah I love my crybaby mini..

10. the_home

the_home Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    I enjoy my original Emma Discombobulator. Have not heard the reissue model, so cannot offer an opinion on it.

11. stambroker

stambroker

Aug 12, 2011
    NoVA
    I've tried a bunch of filters/synthbass pedals but my current setup is by far the best sounding: 3Leaf Audio Octave -> 3Leaf Audio Doom Fuzz -> Moog MF-101 Low Pass Filter. Sounds pretty damn spot-on to a Moog bass synth, especially with a touch of reverb. Lately I've had my Moog filter on pretty much all of the time and just hit the string extra hard when I want it to trigger.

Lately I've been wanting to cop Gordon's excellent tone on Phish's cover of "Boogie On, Reggae Woman", I believe he used an Akai Deep Impact on it. So, eventually I'll have to try out the Future Impact ;)

Larchi, Jakeman, wmmj and 1 other person like this.
  12. Not one pedal but if you want a synths bass sound, cog 66 mini into you’re doom into crybaby mini wah just does something insane to the mids... the sweep is sooo good.

13. Tori2013

Tori2013

Aug 28, 2015
    A Korg Monologue, Novation Bass Station or that Roland 303 reissue will save you a LOT of money looking for pedal combos that will never live up.

theunknowndude likes this.
  14. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Ohio, USA
    I've had good luck with the Digitech Bass Synth Wah, too. I bought a Deep Impact years ago, but ended up selling it for a good profit. I found more useful tones with the Digitech BSW. The guys in my old band used to tell me to "unleash the beast" when they wanted the BSW.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
    5corde and Shadowkast like this.
  15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021