Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's the best bass electronics to go with Bartolini's?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Akami, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Aguilar

8 vote(s)
    14.8%
  2. Bartolini

34 vote(s)
    63.0%
  3. Other

12 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Just as the heading says; you like Bartolini, Aguilar? Something else, just choose and try to explain what you like about your choice.

:hyper:

2. Hmm, probably Bart's, just because you've gotta go with the mathcing pickups and preamp, as that's gonna pull the best sound you can out of the pickups.

3. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    All that I've played with Barts are Barts. I certainly like what I hear with that combo. Once I finish my first build, a pair of Bart Js will be going in it with a Bart pre.

4. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    id say barts. i really like my bass to have bart preamps in it.

then again, i really like bart pickups too.

think the only time i wouldnt use barts is a emg-on-emg bass.

5. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Depends on a lot of factors. What kind of sound you are trying to achieve. I have or have had varying combinations of the pre-amps/pickups in different basses and all of them have sounded different.

6. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Could anyone choosing the Aguilar please explain what they like about the combination?

I'm really wanting to get either one or the other soon and have little reservation about getting a Bart, but there seems to be so much love out there for Aguilar.

Incidentally, I've got a 4 knob bass. Which models would I be looking at buying?:confused:

7. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    If ya got bart pups, I'd go bart pre...

That's not to say, that the OBP3 isnt a great pre... tho I wouldnt know first hand. But, I do have a couple of Bart pre's & I'm quite happy.

8. Aero Pickups & Mike Pope Preamp! :D

:bassist:

9. My opinion, go with the John East pre. I recently built an axe using a jazz/humbucker pickup combo(Barts) and the East is absolutely the bomb. Also, when I had questions, he immediatey emailed me back with answers. He even called me at home! I've used the rest, and they're good, but after trying this it's all I'll ever use again.

10. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    haha. yea, aero and mike pope may run a LITTLE EXPENSIVE

i'd save the cash for a custom. i guess it all depends on what you're putting it into. like, would i want to put a 300 dollar preamp and 200 dollar pups into a 400 dollar bass...

not unless i really really love that bass.

i guess it's not like once its in the bass it can't be used as a mod for a better bass later, anyway. so its still a good investment.

but thats why for 250 i'm getting bart pre and pups.

sounds good to me.

i must admit though. that u-retro is SWEET. how big of a tonal difference do you get? and those switches, would they fit through pre-existing pot holes, or would those be too large.

11. Well, the switches, frankly, are kind of pointless. One lets you go passive, handy if your battery dies(but how often does that happen) but in passive mode you lose all tone control, unless you go with the deluxe model(has an additional knob for passive tone). You also lose the blend pot in passive mode, and that's what the other switch is for. It changes from both pickups full to solo bridge. The switches are too small to install into pot holes. Frankly, if you don't think you'll really need them, just leave them inside the cavity. The good new is that you get absolutely cristal clear tone with no real coloration. John East used to design recording consoles, and it shows in the design of this unit. Other units typically have a scoop or bump somewhere in the sound, which I can't stand. This gives me the sound of my bass, flat, which I can then modify all I want. I hardly need to use the EQ on my rig anymore. You get semi-parametric mid control, which I really dig. You can use it to dial back harsh tones for a smooth slap tone, then crank it up somewhere else for an aggressive fingerstyle sound. I can go from Jaco to Geddy Lee to Chris Squire to Duck Dunn in an instant. I just got done recording an album, and the engineer told me it was the best sounding bass he's ever heard, and he's been doing it for 25 years.