Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

whats the best bass for $0<$1500

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fodera of doom, Feb 10, 2006.

1. fodera of doom

fodera of doom

Jan 25, 2006
    athens,Ga
    hi,

I'm looking for a new bass. I am just geting into jazz and my price range is $1000 to $1500. i'm looking at maby a five or six stringer because I already have a good four string and I want something different. Any ideas?

Ben

2. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
  3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    That's akin to saying "I like ice cream and have $0-$7 to spend on a tub- what's the best flavor?" :D There's a million "best" basses out there because everyone's preferences are so different. For example, the Conklin GT-BD7seven-string bass offers more great features on a very high quality instrument than almost any other bass at its price, but for someone who doesn't want a seven-string or a bass with jazz pickups, it could be the worst bass in the world.

What kind of jazz are you getting into? What kind of string spacing, tone, variety in tone, neck type, look, weight, etc. do you prefer? Is there a famous bassist whose tone you'd like to sound the most like?

4. fodera of doom

fodera of doom

Jan 25, 2006
    athens,Ga
    yeh, there is. VICTOR WOOTEN :)

5. Fong249

Fong249

May 25, 2005
    Washington, DC
    He uses a Fodera Yin-Yang. So you're probably looking for a PJ bass... with Fodera pickups?

6. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Carvin. as usual.

you can get a real nice one made custom (to an extent) for $1500.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    A Fodera Emporer for $0 would dominate.

8. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    alot of people would say bongo.. but if i need a toilet seat, i'll go to home depot

fender jazz 4 string. white, red tortoise , maple neck. round wounds.

hey munji... i think a nice F bass for around 0.00$ taxes in would be phat toooo

9. How about a G&L L-2500 5 string? Handmade in the US.

10. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    Anything Music Man. Old, new, whatever.

I mean sure, you can find some really awesome stuff in that price range, but that's my biased bang for the buck advice. :D

11. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Just curious... can you buy Fodera Pickups? I didn't think you could.

12. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Used Peavey cirrus. Used Peavey cirrus. Used Peavey cirrus. Used Peavey cirrus. Used Peavey cirrus. Used Peavey cirrus. Used Peavey cirrus. Used Peavey cirrus. Used Peavey cirrus. Used Peavey cirrus. Used Peavey cirrus. Used Peavey cirrus. Used Peavey cirrus. Used Peavey cirrus. Used Peavey cirrus. Used Peavey cirrus. Used Peavey cirrus. Used Peavey cirrus. Used Peavey cirrus. Used Peavey cirrus. Used Peavey cirrus. Used Peavey cirrus. Used Peavey cirrus. Used Peavey cirrus.

You get the idea. Forget anything else, they weren't a bad deal new but used they are just incredible, we're talking $650-$850 for a bass that cost around $2k new. Quality electronics, dual humbuckers, 35" scale, decent woods, high grade hardware, it's got the lot.

Oh and if you want to sound like Victor Wooten you need two things: Deep pockets and a lot of time to practice.

13. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Dingwall Afterburner I. It could take some searching, but new ones can be found right at $1500. Used they seem to go from about $1100 to $1300. The MM Bongo would be my second choice, and it's an excellent bass.

14. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Victor Wooten uses EMG pickups in his Foderas. AFAIK, there are no "Fodera pickups"; Fodera usually come with either Seymour Duncans, Aeros, or Bartolinis.

15. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    "whats the best bass for $0<$1500"

Well, if you look at it as an algebraic function, $0 is less than $1500, so the answer is "all real basses".

Hope that helps.

16. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Wow . . . I've never heard that joke before!!! :rolleyes:

There is no "best bass" in that price range except for the one that appeals most to you. Laklands are hard to find to try out, but the 55-02 is pretty darn versatile, and the Joe Osborn is a nice bass that gives a sweet classic '60s jazz bass tone. Both are quite well built. The new HH Stingrays are at the top end of your price range, but are worth a look, and the single H model is widely available to "test drive" in stores. I'm a huge fan of the Bongo which has great flexibility and a fantastic electronics package, but if looks are more important to you than tone or playability, it's probably not for you. However, they, too, are widely available to try.

One thing that would really help narrow the field is to try some basses and find out if you prefer 34" or 35" scale.

17. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I disagree. I think the Bongo looks awesome. The Bongo bashing is getting incredibly lame, but I think a lot of it is bandwagon stuff. I bet many of the Bongo bashers haven't even seen one in person.

18. o_O.o_O O.O
    *head implodes*
    +1, he's right.

I guess everyone has their own bias, I've got mine towards my Ibby, read the sig.

In theory, one could buy an average priced bass (800<1000 :D), then spend the change modding it. However, I generally wouldn't ever get around to it (read: spend it on women I have no chance with) and would just end up with a regretted purchase, so I'd advise you to think about that. Would you go to the trouble of modding a lesser bass, or rather just have what you want from the start?

Oh yeah, and one more thing:
    GET AN IBANEZ BTB1206E YEAH NO OTHER OPTION IT'S THE BEST!!!111!!! [/noob]

19. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Any Music Man.

See how easy that was?

20. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Personally, I love the looks of my Bongo. However, as in the case of the looks of my Steinberger ("boat oar" :rolleyes: ), I've come to accept the fact that I'm probably in the minority on this issue.