Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whats the best bass for just starting out?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Staindfan10, Jan 25, 2001.

1. Staindfan10

Staindfan10

Jan 20, 2001
    I new to playing bass and i was wondering what would be a good one to buy? thanx
    -Justin

2. RETSAMPALS

RETSAMPALS

Sep 10, 2000
    depends on what you want to play!

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

You didn't say price was an object, so I'm going to say, if I had to do it all over again, I say an American made Precision (never tried/owned a MIM). Not that it is the "best" for starting out, because if there was a consensus on that, there wouldn't be the zoo of basses that are available.

BUT, if I had a kid starting out, I would start them out on one because;

- it is a well made instrument that will not cause the pain and bad habits and I experienced using crapola like when I began with my disgusting Silvertone.

- the instrument will not give the person a reason to quit because it sounds like a garbage truck with a bad muffler.

- when they want to trade up, or decide to give it up, they have something that holds decent market value.

- in looking for inspiration, they can see many famous bassists, past and present, who use/have used them. They can hear many of their idols and approximate their sound if not their proficiency.

I've kept mine over 25 years. Now about that Aguilar....

4. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    A Conklin Groove Tools 7 String

5. LeftyBass

LeftyBass

Jul 20, 2000
    Hm... a 7 stringer MIGHT be a stretch for a beginner, don't ya think? My best advice for a beginnig bassist is DON'T BUY CRAP. My first bass was (is) a peice of junk. True, it has a few good points, and I bought it because it was the first lefty bass I'd ever laid my hands on, but it's pretty crappy. Spend at least $400 on your first bass. Fender makes a nice little MIM Jazz that I think sounds pretty nice. To be honest, I think that the MIM Jazz sounds better than any American Jazz I've ever played on.

That said, I reccomend a Dean Edge4 for any beginner/intermediate player. It's some good bass for a good price. The five string is nice too. Just don't get the Edge1... it's crap. And, if you remember, the first rule for a begginning bassist is DON'T BUY CRAP.

6. RETSAMPALS

RETSAMPALS

Sep 10, 2000
    well said....
    once you have a decent bass...stop worrying about gear and focus on technique!

hey that's good advice for me!! lol

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    An old Ibanez Roadstar would be a great instrument, soundwise and value-wise. TheSquier P-Basses are also pretty good value for the money.

For a flat-out steal, though, go with a Peavey Palaedium. those are great basses that never got their due. They sorta suck for slapping, though.

Will C.:cool:

8. the squier jazz should be out very soon. no offense to squier owners but the squier p-bass is crap. hopefully the squier j-bass will actually somewhat good.

9. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i honestly think that starting to play on a cheap and crappy bass is the best. eveyone needs and deserves a gradual improvement not only in playing style, but also in the equipment. i started with a super crappy white jbass clone made under the name of kingston. then moved to a cort artisan, a mia jazz, a rickenbacker and the next will be a g&l l2000 or asat. my idea is to buy a used fender clone and start to play, you'll be able to test your passion on the instrument and then decide what to do. cheap aria or yamaha are good too, i think.
    good luck!

10. backtoschool

backtoschool

Oct 24, 2000
    The fender jazz bass is really good, even if you aren't going to play jazz. It's got quality sound at a cheap price.

11. darthspada

darthspada

Jan 20, 2001
    Lancaster, PA
    buy used! make friends with your local guitar shop clerks and get their input on what they have in stock. play everything they have in stock that fits your price range, and then play those basses that are over your price range so that you can get a feel for the GOOD stuff. also check out the classifieds in your local newspaper. I got a hell of a deal on a rare Ibenez that way. one more thing, don't ignore a bass just because of the brand name. listen to the tone, and let that guide you.

12. A Squire isn't bad at all for that kind of a price. that was my first bass and i thought it sounded great! although not very many 11 yr olds know what a 'good' sound is...

what's a good beginner bass? i say go for a Fodera, i would've! I heard they're pretty cheap.
    :D

13. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    The best bass to start with is the one that you can afford which doesn't discourage you from learning, and doesn't intimidate you when you play it.

14. bassmanjck

bassmanjck

Jan 12, 2001
    Try an Ibanez Soundgear. I think the lowest price model is now the SR200. They're somewhere around $300 new and they sound great. And better yet, they're very easy to play. They have a really slim smooth neck. It's a good way to ease into playing.

15. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    :eek: Well, this subject has been done to death, and everybody has their favorites..but, the question is really kind of the same as this one. I just started driving, what is the best car for me? :D You see, there are no right answers. You need to go to the music store and test drive their basses. Most likely one of them will call your name. Have fun!

16. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    If I were just starting out, I would try to snag one of the Peavey G-Basses that are on eBay. There are one or two that are at $299 w/o the case (at the time of this reply).
    (BTW, none of them are mine :) )
    I think you could play a G-Bass for a long time without the want or need for an upgrade.

17. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    I would say a Steinberger boat paddle. Light, nice sound and very kool looking and not too expensive.

18. Hell no...Nobody should start out on that....to much for a beginner...although the 7 is a charm.

19. hey rickbass1
    you're right, silvertones suck ass, im trying to save up for a better one. probably fender precision.

20. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

That was about 1964 I'm referring to. They STILL suck?!? After that, I went to basses that had lousy tone or no tone but at least they were playable. My Precis was my first "real bass" and I've kept it. Quite a step up you'd be taking. Hope it works out.