what's the best bass spkr under $100

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bjazz, May 15, 2003.

1. Bjazz

May 14, 2003
    i wanna build a 1 x 10 cab what should i use?
    i got a peavey megabass head wit xover in it
    2 high 2 low outputs, they say 200 watts rms, 4 ohm min for each pair of outs.
    4ohm or 8ohm spkrs?
  2. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Use the SEARCH feature on the board; it has been discussed many times. Download a copy of Bgavin's spreadsheet (which you'll encounter when you search); it's full of cabinet design info.
  3. BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    "Best" is a subjective term........YOU have to decide what is best for YOU........there are many, many excellent 10" speakers for less than $100, but they all have different qualities. Some will go very low, some are very loud, some are designed for a small sealed box, some are designed for a larger vented box.

So you have to decide what you want it to do, and some qualities have to be traded for other qualities; it is not possible to get everything you could want in one single speaker.

Speakers are limited by the laws of physics, and the way it works out can be explained basically like this....

There are 3 qualities a woofer can possess - loud (the ability to make a lot of sound with not so many watts), low (the ability to reproduce very low frequencies) and small (this means the box that the speaker is mounted in as well as the speaker itself - some speakers need a larger box to work properly).

.....and you can only have 2 of these qualities in any one speaker cabinet. You can have loud and low, but the cabinet is going to be big. You can have low and small, but the speaker is not going to be able to get very loud. You can have loud and small, but the low frequency response will be kinda weak.

So there ya go....loud, low, small.

Pick two.