whats the best bass you can get for around 200 pounds?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by canary, Jun 2, 2004.

1. canary

Jun 1, 2004
    hi, im taking up the bass and wanted your advice on whats the best guitar around for about 200 quid, i have looked into Yamaha and Squier so far but just wanted to know what you think.

thanks in advance
  2. what is 200 pounds equil to american money?
  3. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I once owned a bass that weighed around 200 pounds... :ninja:
  4. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    While I like some Squires I would think that the Yamaha is the better value, especially if you can get at a minimum the RBX270 series. Peavey and Ibanez are also worth a look.

5. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I too would suggest the Yamaha over any Squire. Squires really are the red headed step-child of the Fender family. :eek:

Yamaha really puts a lot of good stuff into even their bottom of the barrel basses. I like the BB series. :D See what you can get on Ebay.
  6. my first bass was a peavey dyna international series and that ran me £199 it was great, and i was genuinly sad when it came to selling her on to another new bassist, definatly look in to one, you wont be disapointed.

7. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    See the Essex Bass Guitar Megathread. Start at the back, and work towards the begininng. Just go a $199 (US) Brice Douglas Jazz5 fretless, and it seems real nice so far. Strings are throwaways, and it needed a real thorough setup run on it, but I think it's a great value...I have yet to hear it plugged in, but I'll file a full report later.
  8. I have to admit I haven't tried many budget basses but in my experience of what's currently available try an Ibanez - the Luthite ones are very light, have really comfy necks and are good for funk, metal or just straight ahead playing like blues or rock.

Looks wise if you want that retro thing then try and grab yourself a second hand Gibson or Rickenbacker - it really depends on your style of playing - but if you're into 'modern' techniques and playing then try an Ibanez - you'll have to check prices though, might be a little over your budget.
  9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yeah, my old Peavey T-40 weighed nearly that much.:smug:
  10. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    musiciansfriend.com yamaha rbx775 the best bass in that range of price, but it might be like a feather to you. Do you also carry a 8x10" amp, a power suply and a amp head in your back while you play the heavy bass???????
  11. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Scratch my Yamaha comments! (although they do make nice lower-priced basses :) )

I forgot all about the Spector Performer 4! Those are great basses for that price! They are well balanced, the neck is nice and smooth, the hardware is quality and they sound really nice. They do have passive pickups, but they are made by EMG and have a real nice sound to them. :p
  12. canary

Jun 1, 2004
    thanks for all the help, it seems Yamaha would be the best choice
  13. vometia

vometia Formerly cbh

Nov 1, 2003
    If you can stretch to another hundred quid, there's always the Queen of Basses here. :D

Actually, although I keep taking the mick, I'm half tempted to get one myself; well, for the missus as she actually showed a bit of interest a while back. She's actually quite an adept pianist and she knows far more about music theory than I ever will, but I'll corrupt her into the ways of bass-playing yet!