1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What's the best Bass you've ever played? (whether you own it or not)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by de la mocha, Jul 28, 2007.

1. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    You could have been passing through a local music store and picked it up to try it out. You may have borrowed it from your friend. You may have sold your own soul to obtain it. You may have asked to see it for a moment from a Bass player in a band who was on before you because you loved his tone.

No matter what the story is, I want to know, what is the best Bass you ever played in your life? Was it a $1000,000 custom made bass? Was it an ancient relic dripping with mojo from the early 60's? Was it a cheap brand that suprized the crap out of you? Was it an off brand obscure model? Was it a new age space age design? Was it fretless or fretted?

I want to know! Call me stupid, but the best bass I ever played was a Dean Dimebag Bass! I play gospel and picked it up at G.C. as a joke just to fool around with it, but it's a pretty awesome bass guitar. I love the neck and the tone is absolutely incredible! I love the feel of this bass and it plays better then my Fender P, and my main Bass which is my Dean Rhaspody. Who would have known this silly little thing played so amazing?! :eek:

[​IMG]

2. afinalfantasy

afinalfantasy Banned

Jan 11, 2006
    American Fender Jazz, easily, but I don't haveo ne

The only thing now is to get a CIJ one

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My sterling, as well as some sadowskys, even though they werent personallly my thing, they are great basses. Also a nordstrand fretless.

4. A Fender Slab Precision,back in the 70's.Butterscotch and black s/plate.Weighed a ton but felt solid,and that maple fingerboard!!I've had GAS for one of those ever since.

5. Cajunmetalist

Cajunmetalist

Aug 26, 2006
    Eunice, La
    Justin CHancellors Wal........then the alarm went off...........

No Honestly It was a Geddy Lee.......til the owner walked outside and seen us trying to play basketball with it.......he never let me play with it again :)

6. Jules Forcella

Jules Forcella

Aug 28, 2005
    Frankfurt a.M. / Deutschland
    Endorsing Artist: AccuGroove
    Fodera Emperor Elite - Own it !!!

7. srwelty

srwelty

Jun 19, 2007
    Buffalo, NY
    MY Billy Sheehan Yamaha Attitude X it has the fastest smoothest neck ive ever played on.

8. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    The best bass I have ever played is currently my MTD 635, but I'm always on the lookout for a bass that plays better. I just haven't found it yet.

9. Kubs

Kubs

Jul 26, 2006
    Prague
    That 5000+ USD Warwicks....it was orgasm to try them on fair

10. Andrew Gouche's MTD. I had declined (still in awe that he offered) and he said "Stop trippin and take the bass" LOL. MAN that was one lovely playing 6 string. I dont know what woods it was made of, but it was the bomb. I couldn't even jam like I wanted to because of the shock lol.

11. Jules Forcella

Jules Forcella

Aug 28, 2005
    Frankfurt a.M. / Deutschland
    Endorsing Artist: AccuGroove
    Yes , he also invited me to play on it in Frankfurt on the Musik-Messe this year - ok, I also could play it upside down as a Lefty....but it was a Monster Bass.... He and Matt Garrison were so nice warm People to meet

12. As far as Jazz basses go, my Kubicki bodied, Steve Dvorak built parts bass never fails to amaze. I've played MANY big dollar Jazz basses and none have impressed me more. The neck and fretwork on this bass are second to none. The same is true with the neck/pocket fit and overall build quality of the entire bass. Even the 4 layer tort pickguard is precisely hand made with a flawless fit.

[​IMG]

For P basses, any one of my friends 4 70's Fenders are just PURE bass satisfaction. I have one here with me now and I can't put it down. I wish I could keep it :ninja:

13. My Alembic Essence. It's absolutely perfect for me in every way. I try other basses for fun but my search for a better bass is over.

Ken.

14. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    There used to be a guy around TB named "muggsy" that had a prototype fretless USA Lakland hollowbody. That is the one bass that through the years has left one hell of an impression on me! Gold, lined rosewood board, clay dots. Holy crap, that one was amazing!

15. ArmyPunkGuy

ArmyPunkGuy

Dec 25, 2006
    MIA P-bass butterscotch w/rosewood............i loved it but was broke at the time

16. sanray

sanray

Nov 8, 2005
    rickenbacker

17. godspeed68

godspeed68 i'm here for the sound Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    +1 on the Ric. the one im thinkin of was a '79 4001 w/tuxedo finish...rick james style. quite possibly some of the SICKEST slap tones from that bass. wish i had it.

fender: '64 jazz. wish i had it.

boutique: the model escapes my mind, but it was some 6-string fretless fodera that literally glowed on the f'in wall. im not joking about that, this thing had light being produced from its very core. that was (if i remember correctly) an 8k or so bass. very slick. wish i had it.

18. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    2002 Bee Bass (I bought it)

Used F-Bass at GC, just an amazing sound, feel and response......

19. Crow

Crow

Oct 28, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    My Fender American Deluxe Jazz QMT. Came flawless from the factory, put a set of Fender 9050's, tweaked the truss rod a tad & it's incredible, not the quiltiest top, but I love it.

20. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    1.MIA deluxe jazz.... own it.
    As for 5 strings.... it is a real toss up between my MIA P deluxe and a warwick dolphin i played at the dallas GC on central 75.... it was an older model... loaded with barts. Man that thing was a real sweety but, i was broke as a joke at the time.