What's the best buy on stage wireless for bass?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Steven Ayres, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Steven Ayres

Steven Ayres Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2007
    Northern Arizona
    I'm looking into going wireless onstage in a new band, and I'm a little daunted by the range of choices and prices. What's a good, solid, dependable wireless instrument system that won't break the bank?

2. Line 6. I own the G30 which has been great. Had I the extra coin, I would have gone with the more durable G50.

DirtDog, cjlembo, G On Bass and 5 others like this.
  3. kikstand454

kikstand454

Sep 28, 2012
    There is a g50 in the classified now for $300.

I have ran the g30 for two years now, both shows and practice, and haven't had a single issue. I could probably count the split second dropouts I've had on one hand.

Gearhead17 likes this.
  4. bassrich

bassrich

Nov 20, 2011
    Sarasota, FL
    The G-10 looks affordable probably the same quality as the 30 or 50 just basic
    Line 6 Relay G10

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
    Ox Boris and RedJag like this.
  5. guitarflinger

guitarflinger Not all who wander are lost Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Front Range, Colorado
  6. Bassworship1

Bassworship1 Inactive

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    I've gigged the Line 6 G30 15-17 gigs a month 2-3 hour shows at a time for years and never an issue with drop out. Best buy out there for the money and the tone is just as good as a high end cable.

kikstand454 likes this.
  7. Daedraziel

Daedraziel

Aug 19, 2013
    Toms River NJ
    This is exactly what I use as well. The receiver replacing your tuner pedal is a godsend for me. HUGE range and solid metal construction even on the transmitter pack.. recharge-able lith-ion batteries last for 8-10 hours without a problem, and charge quickly (or even on the way to your next gig with the usb plug)

great system!

Grumry, fclefgeoff and guitarflinger like this.
  8. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    same here with the more expensive G90 - 'cus I wanted a rack mount unit.

Grumry likes this.
  9. AMp'D.2play

AMp'D.2play

Feb 12, 2010
    NJ
    I've been using the Line 6 Relay G75 and am very satisfied. I initially purchased the G70 - the pedal version - but exchanged it for the amp-top G75. At the time I bought it this summer it was only $50 more than the G50 ($400 vs 350). The 70/75 has a few more bells & whistles, which I thought was worth the upcharge. The battery compartment is a better design, it has a built-in tuner, and it uses any standard 1/4" to 1/4" cable. The G50 uses a 1/4" to TA4F, and more than a few reviews complained that the battery door could pop open. I believe the price difference now might be $100 instead of $50, but with Labor Day around the corner, there may be a few sales by the big online retailers.

walterw likes this.
  10. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff

Jan 3, 2002
    IL
    Another vote for the Shure GLX-D system. Kind of expensive but rock solid, zero dropouts and the tuner is genius.

11. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    Line 6 G30 as well ... couple years no issues at all, replaced stock cable with two I made with 90 degree end and use a simple velcro strap to hold the battery door secure (two complaints on the G30 by some users) .... I like the fact that it uses a standard 1/4" TS plug ...

Attached Files:

12. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Line 6 G50. No issues whatsoever....

Good Luck!

Moosehead1966 likes this.
  13. Jamvan

Jamvan The Bassist Formerly Known As Meh Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2014
    Minnesota
    Line6 G30 here as well. Using it weekly for over a year. No dropouts. Good tone. Only issue, as mentioned previously, is the battery compartment on the transmitter needs help staying shut. I use a pouch on my strap that does the trick. Usually find them used for around $120-$150. Great value.

kikstand454 likes this.
  14. RedJag

RedJag

Mar 2, 2016
    San Jose, CA
    I got the digital wireless system that predates the line 6 relay series and it's been solid ever since I bought it. X2 Wireless I think?? Worked perfectly for my needs on bass. Never had an issue. I'm sure current relay offerings are just as good. No need to mess with antennas and frequencies. No interference. Decent range. Only question is if it causes problems with fuzz pedals or something that typically needs to see the load of the Pickups or whatever.

15. FrankLowend

FrankLowend

Dec 31, 2010
    Brazil
    Question: is the wireless system to change my signal to digital?
    And sorry if this is a dumb question...

16. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Another vote for the Line 6 G-30. Gigged with one for years and it was flawless. The guitarist had one too, we just used different channels, worked great. I went for this over the G-50 for the simple fact that it was a standard 1/4". I switched out the cable that came with it for a right angle then used a neoprene pouch I found on Amazon. It allowed me to attach it to my strap and held it vey securely.

kikstand454 likes this.
  17. Burwabit

Burwabit Likes guitars that tune good and firm feelin women Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    Every time this comes up, Line 6 leads the way. You can't go wrong. I couldn't gig without my G50, mostly because I have hot moves on stage.

18. dcbassist5

dcbassist5 Supporting Member

May 11, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Endorsing Artist: Ashdown, Lakland
    Line 6 G70. No issues to date (3 years)

19. john_g

john_g Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Like a broken record...i used the Line 6 G30 and outside of the battery door clip breaking, its been flawless. I got it used here on TB which saved some money too. So, scan the classifieds for used ones in good shape is my advice.

RedJag likes this.
  20. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab HELIX user & BOSE Abuser

Feb 11, 2004
    Texas
    cultrvultr and jgroh like this.