Whats The Best Custom Bass I Can Buy for approx. $2000

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by teenagebass69, Jul 13, 2004.

1. I see all these awesome custom spalted basses and custom basses I must have one. Whats the best custom bass company that i can get a bass from for approx. $2k?
  2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    I won't go into the "don't get a custom because everyone else gets one" route-I'll leave that to someone else. I will say you should really know what you want before you spend the money, as you are likely to get far less back if you decide to sell it. Also, "best" is really subjective, so take that as you will. $2k is a upper-mid price level-you can afford the top-of-the-line Fenders, Yamahas, and most of the Spectors, Warwicks and the like, but it's not enough to get you a new bass by the more customized companys like Sadowsky, Roscoe, Elrick, etc. The most "customy" new basses for that price are probably FBBs, but if you're willing to buy used, there's a whole slew of high-end basses you can get for under $2k, like Zon, Roscoe, Elrick, Lakland, Pedulla, Ken Smith, etc.
  3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Wait, your other thread says you bought a Pedulla Buzz. Which is it?
  4. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    For that price, you'd have to go with a lesser known luthier. Cliff Bordwell built my bass and it's great. His site is cbbasses.com if you're curious. As of late he's been raising the prices, most likely because he's gotten noticed. You could afford one of his basses, just not with a ton of options.
  5. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Sadowsky Metro. Not truly custom but awesome none the less
  6. Well, he started the threads about 6 minutes apart, so maybe he had time to run out and buy it after asking the question. Or maybe since he lives in Beverly Hills, he really got $4K for his birthday, bought the Buzz and wants a custom for $2K. Lighten up, not everybody is poor and has to work for a living to buy their instruments.

(no offense, but seems a bit dodgy and obviously troll-ish to me)
  7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
  8. stroy05

stroy05 Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Basses, Noble Amps, Aguilar Amps, JHAudio Inears
    There are plenty of options out there

9. PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    micheal dolan custom guitars in satna rosa,CA

starts at 1500, does awsome work, great guy.

havent had the chance to get a custom built, but he does all the repair work/sets ups on my basses, and has helped alot with choosing woods/advice on buildin them.
  10. rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    I'll say it!! VALENTI BASSES!!! :smug: ;)

Of course, you should check out Stambaugh as well - I think he was mentioned by some of our extended-string users recently :D
  11. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    there are a LOT of great basses you can get for around $2000. Sadowsky, Eshenbaigh, Lull, Dolan, and many many others

personally I felt very safe getting a Sadowsky Metro and don't regret it for a minute. what a great bass!!

by custom if you mean specialized tops and all that, I would think Eshenbaugh would be a good bet
  12. FBB customs. I love mine to death and you can read up more on Matt Schmill of FBB on the home page of TB as this times featured interview!
  13. Joe Boom

Joe Boom

Jun 25, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Are you second guessing the Pedulla?
  14. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Give this man some money and get yourself a sweet bass.

Thats what Im doing and its not costing me close to 2K even though Im going with a bunch of out of the ordinary upgrades and extra features.
  15. Get a Valenti. Get one now! I just got off his website lookin at them, and I just love them! You could get one totally made to your specs for WELL under 2K. Dude, help out an aspiring luthier, and get yourself an awesome bass. 2 birds with one stone my man.
  16. Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    Not a standard Valenti, but built by Nino:
  17. Or you could take the Pedulla back and have $4000 to buy nearly any custom bass you want.
  18. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Who left the door open and let the trolls in. :rolleyes: