1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Whats the best D.I. box?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by addylewis, Feb 23, 2008.

1. I've been thinking about getting a straight DI box with no tone shaping (so...I'm not after a sansamp or pod - coz they frankly change the sound too much for me...)

I'm just after a decent transparent one for my Kustom Groovebass - say for up to 100 quid or dollars? Not too much more than that...Passive or active, it doesn't matter really...I dunno, it MAY matter in terms of transparency?

Any suggestions? (Manufacturers, model numbers etc...not a cheapie) :)

2. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    A bit more than $100, but I've used a Countryman Type 85 in the studio with excellent results.

3. Joeykun

Joeykun pronounced ジョーイくん

Jun 22, 2007
    Shirley, MA
    Endorsing Artist: SADOWSKY / GENZLER / KEELEY ELECTRONICS / TEMPLEBOARDS / KIRLIN CABLE
    Radial JDI - Passive and transparent!

4. 2nd the Countryman...I use it live and for recording. Simple and built like a tank.

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I know it's impossible to search on two-letter terms like "DI"... but if it was possible, I can assure you the results would come up with dozens of threads all saying the same thing: Countryman Type 85 and Radial JDI in the majority, Avalon U5 running second, and a few votes for BSS and Summit. I've read every DI thread I've seen over the last couple of years, and for "transparent" DI's that's the deal.

6. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    The demeter DI's are rated fairly high, but are also priced very high.

7. Cheers guys - just got myself a countryman on ebay. (well, with a £1100 rig its gotta sound good through the P.A.!)