1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Whats the best deal you've gotten on a bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bskts247, Feb 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. bskts247

bskts247 Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    Whats the best deal you've gotten, not including a family member buying you your first fender etc. I'd like to hear stories like "I found an unplayed never opened fender '57 p bass and the guy paid me to take it".

I haven't gotten any AMAZING deals on any electric basses. Found a 2008 American Standard P for $700 that my friend bought.

Both my uprights were pretty good deals. Got about $2000 off of my fully carved bass.

I found my plywood bass last october at guitar center listed as "Acoustic Cello" for $800 after tax. My luthier told me its from 1960 and worth between $1500 and $2000.

Lets hear your stories.

rickwebb and Crowd crusher like this.
  2. twinjet

twinjet jazz bassist / G&L enthusiast Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    My '89 G&L L-2000 USA was listed at $750, bought for $475.

A perfectly functional Fender Rumble 15 for $1.11.

aah_scary, rodl2005, 10cc and 3 others like this.
  3. FloridaTim

FloridaTim

May 29, 2013
    Kissimmee, FL
    Got my 2011 Fender American P Bass for $399 with case at a local pawn shop. A guy that worked there had just put a long scratch straight across the front. Great timing on my part.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  4. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    Nothing truly spectacular, but:

A circa 1999 MIM P-bass for $80. Used, very good condition, nice player. It hung on a store wall for 2 years and never got played by anyone but me. One day, I jokingly offered the guy "I'll give ya 50 bucks for it.....". He comes back with "Gimmie 80 and it's yours."

5. Gaolee

Gaolee It's all about the polyester

Late '60s EB-2dc for the equivalent of $0.08. Not free, but close enough.

6. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    New York USA
    1961 Precision free for 13 years until my old roommate reclaimed it.

japhy4529, Ronbeast, Arrow and 3 others like this.
  7. Got my 2015 American Standard P bass, strings, and strap locks for a scratched and cracked Tacoma Thunderchief that was in the same shop for repairs and $200.00. Dealer couldn't figure out how to price the Thunderchief. I bought it used for $500 several years before. They offered $799 for it and I couldn't say yes fast enough. I really liked the TC but it wasn't getting used anymore and I've always wanted a P. The dealer had one that just felt and sounded right on the right day and I'm happy as all get out with it. They sold the Thunderchief the next day for $899, so I guess everyone walked away happy.

keto, Helix and rodl2005 like this.
  8. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

9. image. $125. 1957 Precision Bass with NO wear when I got it.
    For the win!

10. songwriter21

songwriter21 Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    To this day, even when it was a time when Modulus basses couldn't be given away...back in '04, I got a mint Q5 for $1230 w/ case. I dented the clearcoat a good bit her after opening for the first time, then had money bs!, and...sold her to a local shop for $1K.

Ugh....

11. I bought another 90's Fender Precision for $120.

CaseyJ and fttfbass like this.
  12. StevieMac

StevieMac Supporting Member

Mar 17, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    2002 Ibanez SR800 with gig bag for $90 Canadian.

[​IMG]

fishstix, Helix, aah_scary and 5 others like this.
  13. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    Lefty Duke 2.JPG Carvin LB-20 2.JPG As far as basses go, probably these. A Kramer Duke Deluxe (not this one) from GC for $95.00. No case, but it plays, sounds, and looks just fine. And a (at the time) 3 year old Carvin LB-20 - an unplayed LB-20 - off eBay for $350. I was the only bidder... According to the build sheet, it cost the original owner right at $1500... Makes me smile, every time I pick it up, too..;)

fttfbass likes this.
  14. WoodyJ

WoodyJ Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Back in 1979, in the days before vintage gear became a big deal - Paul Goddard's (Atlanta Rhythm Section, Roy Orbision's Candymen, Classics IV, etc.) 1957 Fender Precision, for $750

[​IMG][​IMG]

japhy4529, Relsom, DJ '65 and 22 others like this.
  15. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Used high mileage Ken Smith 6 string for $300. When I say high mileage I'm not kidding. Frets had huge grooves worn in them. Tuners were literally worn out! (I'd never seen that on a bass before...how much did this guy tune anyway? ) And body looked so bad I was sure it would need a refinish. But $80 at the Luthier got frets leveled and crowned (he said next time it would take new frets), A set of gold Carvin tuners (OK, so they say Carvin on them instead of Smith... who cares) and best of all with a good cleaning and waxing, the body polished right up and looked great with no refin. I'm still amazed every time I play it just how great that bass is! Those deals are out there, you just have to keep your eyes open and get lucky.

japhy4529, Axstar, wmmj and 2 others like this.
  16. I just picked up my first 5 string after watching it on CL for almost 2 years. Custom Mose Sparrow (so he said). He started at $600 (said he paid $800 to a guy who paid $1200) Dropped it to $500, then $400, then $300... I got it for $260. ($200 USD). Figured I couldn't go wrong.

[​IMG]

17. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    SX jazz for $100

18. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Best I got, an Aria SB1000 for 180.
    Best I missed, a Zemaitis for 500.

19. Obese Chess

Obese Chess I'm Your New Dad

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    I bought my 83 P-Bass, in great condition, for $600.

20. Nothing high end, but my current Aria STB-PJ cost me $20 on CL. The previous owner kept lowering the price every couple of days without bumping the ad back up to the top for others to take notice.

rodl2005 and scuzzy like this.