Whats the best line you can come up with using only open strings?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by kirbywrx, Apr 11, 2003.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Whats the best bass line you can come up with using only open strings. It doesnt matter how many strings you have, just specify what bass you used and how many strings it had. Post up the MP3 or whatever it is aswell.

2. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    I can play blacksabbaths iron man on an acoustic guitar with the E string only - strum the E string then fiddle the tuning peg on each strum to get the note.

Its cheap but qualifies!
  3. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
  4. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I can't beat Jaco's "Onkonkole Y Trompa".
  5. NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    Do harmonics count?
  6. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    If your going to do it, they may aswell :D
  7. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    no problem... if you have a 11 string bass!
  8. The best I can muster up is Donna Lee @ 220 bpm....

9. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Actually, I once saw a bluegrass picker do that during a guitar solo he was playing. Very awesome stuff. I also saw Tracii Guns from LA guns do it in a video. :D

I think this thread is a cool idea. I studied theory under a guy who once told me this story about when he was in Berklee. Apprently one of his professors instructed him to create a composition using only 5 notes. He says it turned out very interesting.
  10. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    If you use the G string, you can play "Everyday People". :D
  11. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    wheres that pic of Les Claypool playing the whamola?

Claypool only needed one string....and he didn't even need a fretboard! so there.

12. well, i have a whammy pedal, so it's like whamola x 4
  13. [​IMG]
  14. get a Zon Hyperbass (Hipshot detuners on every string plus tuning settings at the bridge):D
  15. Yup, leave it to him to do something like that...I'm surprised he hasn't turned a fish into a bass...He's original...
  16. Well, Les didn't even make it. IT was givin to him one night by 2 guys who stayed up until 3 am out side his hotel room.
  17. Sounds like those 2 guys need a life....

I just worked out Chromatic Fantasy on open strings. Having trouble with the very last chord...
  18. Tosya

Oct 11, 2002
    We used to play a song called "Cavern" where I played all open strings in the verses (DADG). Since we're a two-piece band (bass and drums) that was the main line, but this was back in the era when we augmented the sound with a keyboard, so that steps on the bass a bit. It's very simple, but seemed to work with the song -- gave it kind of a airy, other-worldly effect.

If you really want to hear it, it's still posted at garageband . I guess I wouldn't call this the best bass line I could come up with on open strings, just a bass line. :)
  19. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Finally, a decent argument for buying an eight string!!!!