What's the best MIJ Fender copy bass and why is it Fernandes from the 90's?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Netherlord, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Netherlord

Netherlord

Oct 16, 2014
    I just love MIJ lawsuit bass.

As an Asian with small-ass hands, regular Fender precision basses' necks are kinda too thick for me to play comfortably and fortunately, Japanese people built some quality p-bass copies with necks designed for people with small hands.

And a few days ago, I was strolling around a music store in my town and I was feeling pretty down from the fact that there are too few p-basses in where I live. People only look for and sell jazz bass, but that ain't my thing. But lo and behold, I got a glimpse of that split-pickup and went straight into the store to test it.

It was almost perfect. The tone was bright and the sound it gave out was "precisely" what I was looking for. After testing it, I searched on the internet to see how people reacted to this bass and they were mostly positive.

So what is your opinion about Fernandes P-bass copy from the 90's? Is it one of the best MIJ p-bass copies or is there something better than this?
    1.JPG

2. Gunga Din

Gunga Din

Jun 22, 2018
    Greco were pretty good, too. Some of their gear, build wise, wasn't far off the originals.

3. Gee Man

Gee Man

Nov 2, 2016
    W. MA.
    They are indeed nicely made instruments. I have a PJ Fernandes from the same era and do not see letting it go anytime soon.

rock on.

4. grrg63

grrg63

Dec 14, 2005
    Pittsburgh
    saabfender and scuzzy like this.
  5. I know one ESP 400 Precision that is amazing- and Tokai built fantastic Jazz copies "Jazz Sound" in the late 70s, early 80s. I don't know anything about today's Tokais, so please enlighten...

Best
    Sidecar

Jim C and saabfender like this.
  6. neo 7

neo 7 The bass player doesn't get a sandwich

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    0427172214b.jpg
    Early 80's Fender-shaped Fernandes.

7. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    grrg63 likes this.
  8. To me i think Ibanez roadstars or blazers are the best fender copy per value. Grecos or I had A Yamaha pulsar and Tokai that were great but go for much more then Roadstars, clean ones can be had for $400-500 but I’ve bought a few beater ones for $200 and are as nice as any Japan copy and on par and sometimes better then the MIJ fenders, sometimes better Woods and hardware just IMO.

9. saabfender

saabfender Inactive

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Another vote for Ibanez' Fender copies of that era.