Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's the best oil stain in the market?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Dtex, Jan 11, 2003.

1. Dtex

Dtex

Sep 20, 2002
    Etobicoke, Ontario
    Hey guys I need some advice on cleaning a stained oil body - an Ibanez SR3000.

2. I've edited your post title because it had nothing to do with your question.

Cleaning an oil finish isn't to hard but you've got to do a little research first. What exactly is it that you need to take off? If you can remove it with a little spit then it's a water based material. If it's a water based substance, then using a damp (not wet) soft rag with a little mild soap worked in will do a good job. Just wipe over the offending area and wipe it dry right behind. You don't want it damp for too long. If it's an oil based gunk, then a little naptha will do a good job. Apply it in the same way. Naptha isn't too aggressive and seems to work very well with oil. It will do a good job with oils and grease from body excretions (ugh!). Avoid denatured alcohol, lacquer thinner, or acetone because these will really break down the oil finish leaving it too dry. To put a nice finish back on the body, you can use nearly any polymerized oil. I have used Behr Scandia polymerized tung oil with UV inhibitors for awhile now and find it to be a very good film forming finish. I've recently become aware of another oil that I'm dying to try out. It's called "Tried & True Varnish Oil". It's a true polymerized linseed oil that doesn't contain heavy metals that other chemical polymerized oils contain (like my Behr Tung Oil). The other point about this oil is that it doesn't leave a lingering smell. It is said to have a quick build finish and is best applied warm (120º) because it's so thick.

Hope this helps

3. Dtex

Dtex

Sep 20, 2002
    Etobicoke, Ontario
    Hambone thanks for the response, you answered my question on how to maintain the stained oil finish on my bass. At the same time I wanted to know what the best product is available out there.