Whats the best onboard pre for active DC EMG pickups ?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by M.T.A.C., Dec 27, 2007.

1. M.T.A.C.

M.T.A.C. Inactive

Dec 8, 2007
    Besides an EMG pre ? Is there anything that really makes them shine besides an EMG pre ? Maybe I just dont like EMG stuff anymore.

Will an aguilar OB3 work maybe ?

2. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Yes.

3. got an aguilar in my bass with emgs and its sick

4. M.T.A.C.

M.T.A.C. Inactive

Dec 8, 2007
    All right ! I cant wait :hyper:

5. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Do you have the correct pots for a passive wiring loom that usually come with EMG's? Might be worth trying before shelling out for another pre if you can deal with VVT setup.

I'm taking the pre out of my Steinberger and going passive loom when the HBCS arrive.

6. M.T.A.C.

M.T.A.C. Inactive

Dec 8, 2007
    I think the DC EMG's are active only. Pretty sure anyway

7. i just put in an aggie obp-3 in my schecter, which has 45dcs, and its sounds really goddamn good. really versatile pre, wire it up with a sweepable mid frequency and your set.

8. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    You don't need an external preamp as well as the one inside the pickup casing. A V/V/T will work just as well.

I have a whole bunch of EMG's.

9. M.T.A.C.

M.T.A.C. Inactive

Dec 8, 2007
    I want the push pull mid instead of the toggle. I have a 4 knob bass. Anyone know the kit model # I should get ? obp-3 ?

10. ya get the OBP-3SK/PP. stacked bass and treb, and a mid push/pull.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021