1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What's the Best Order to Put my Effects in?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by theroan, Apr 9, 2006.

1. These are effects I'm currently working with:

Boss Bass Chorus
    Boss Metal Zone
    Boss TU-2 Tuner
    Boss PH-3 Phaser
    Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi USA
    Ernie Ball Stereo Volume
    Line 6 DL-4 Delay Modeller

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I would be inclined to go something like:
    Muff-> Tuner-> Metal Zone-> Chorus-> Phaser-> Delay-> Volume

The Muff will be very responsive to the volume controls of your pickups, so it goes first. The tuner may work better with a clean signal, easier to get at the beginning of the chain, so it goes next. I like the sound of fuzz and distortion feeding into either chorus or phaser, so that's how those sit. The delay will give the smoothest decays if it is last in the chain of fx, and the volume can be used at the very end to regulate level irregularities as you engage or disengage the various fx. YMMV.

3. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    Bongo's suggestion is good, but I'd say put the tuner at the very end of the chain to act as a mute. This way you won't really need a noise suppression pedal, the tuner will do the same basic thing with the mute function.

-Dash

4. Question:

Whereabouts would you put a compressor in that kind of setup, and why would you do it that way? Thanks

5. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    For a compressor, I'd put it towards the end of the chain, so it can soften the signal and any sudden spikes that might come from the other effects before the signal hits the amp. Some might prefer the compressor at the front of the chain, especially if you have an envelope filter (to prevent it from constantly triggering), but theroan doesn't seem to have anything like that.

-Dash

6. It depends really. If you want to simply take care of any spikes in the signal and even everything out it should go towards the end. OTOH, I've had interesting results with putting one in front of distortion, especially at really squashed settings.
    I'd also try putting the delay in front of a distortion, that way the distortion is responding to the decay of the delay, basically having less gain on each repeat. Pedal chains are really a thing about individual preference, there's so much that can be done just by switching things around.

7. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    The order they sound best in is the order they should be placed in.

What I'm trying to say is that you should experiment, you might be surprised with the interesting tones you can unravel just by switching around the pedal order. ;)