Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

whats the best overdrive pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassampegman, Feb 2, 2005.

1. This is what i need:

1. Quality overdrive pedal that will beef up my bass sound during certain rock songs and fill out the band while guitarist solos.

2. Good bypass so it doesnt alter my good amp tone when off.

3. DI would be nice but not crucial

3. price $200 ( £200 ) approx max

I have the following:

SABDDI which is not bad but it pulls the mids out of my tone a bit so im not sure yet

MXR-M80 incoming so havnt tried yet

Hartke VXL Bass Attack incoming so havnt tried yet

Any other suggestions for a better pedal ive seen Fulltone mentioned and others.

Remember i do not want it on all the time as i like my Ashdown rig tone as it is and i dont want all out fuzz i want overdrive type tube growl with balls !!

Must be good for live work as thats what i do !

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    there's no 'best' one. We all hear things differently.
    I've tried a bunch over the years, among my favorites are fulltone bassdrive, ebs multidrive, dredgetone angler, barber deep fryer.
    If you look at the top of the forum, there's a stickied thread with user submitted reviews of just about every od/dist pedal out there.
    Check that out to narrow down the field.
    In the price range you mention, only the Hartke, SABBDI and MXR have a DI to my knowledge. The EBS Microbass II has drive and also DI, but that's 2-3 times what you're looking to spend.

3. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio

First, I agree with Dave 100%- there is no "best" one.

I have the MXR and love it, but realize it is not an OD but a distortion. It is too harsh for many people's taste as a result, but I like a tighter sound than most in my distortion.

Lots of people like the Fulltone Bassdrive it seems. It is at the pricepoint you mention, but it does not have a DI.

Ted

4. check this one out

I'm curious to see what it would sound like with my rig.,

5. Andy Cleaver

Andy Cleaver A show of hands....

Dec 16, 2004
    England, Midlands
    I'm a fan of the Fulltone Bass Driver (Just got one recently). Definately check these out! Not a DI unfortunately but it is true bypass so thats a big plus!

6. I have a ProCo Rat pedal that I like a lot. I saw a band called the Arcade Fire a while back which used one and got some cool and very loud sounds out of. I wish they made a bass version of the Big Muff, that'd be nice but the guitar version makes a very muddy sound with bass.