Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's the best pickup...?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by cheapskate, Mar 26, 2001.

1. cheapskate

cheapskate

Dec 3, 2000
    I am using a Barcus Berry 300A pickup and I'm having real problems with getting a decent volume out of it in gigs. I am in an electronic band which uses electronic sub bass and various other whizzes and beeps of different desciptions.
    I play through Trace Elliot 300W amp which is fine for my Bass guitar - more than fine in fact. But everytime I try to turn up I get horrible feedback. I have tried every combination on setup, from having the pickup preamp up high and the amp low and vice versa, I have tried making it more trebley, less trebley... everything! But still feedback.
    Is there something I can do with my current setup? or should I go for a different pickup - if so which one?

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I've emailed you directly, through TalkBass, with a text extract from the insert I supply with every bass pickup and preamp I sell. It deals with feedback issues and how to avoid it.

I'll also gently point you towards the K&K Bass Max:
    http://www.gollihur.com/kkbass/bassmax.html
    as a pickup that has good sound and high gain before feedback. Disclaimer: I sell 'em, so feel free to suspect my motives.

But not my advice about feedback ;-)

3. Texbob

Texbob

May 16, 2000
    Tulsa, OK., USA
    Try a K&K Bass Master Pro w/pre-amp, a good EQ, and some different speaker configurations.
    I bought a K&K system from Bob Gollihur and it is so much better than the Fishman pickup I had. (Thanks Bob).
    I get GREAT TONE & VOLUME!!!
    I backed off some of the bass on my amp, and boosted the treble. The sound is distinct and crisp.
    I play in a 5 piece jump-blues band playing concerts, festivals, parties, clubs, etc.
    Sometimes I really need the extra volume, the only way I got it, was to switch to the K&K.
    Good luck!

4. rablack

rablack

Mar 9, 2000
    Houston, Texas
    Another vote for the K&K Bassmax from a happy customer.

5. K&K Bass master Pro is the way to go.

6. `NUFF SAID! K&K does it for me too.

7. I use a Barbera, and I can get some pretty high levels in a rockabilly band I sometimes play in.