What's the best pickup...?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by cheapskate, Mar 26, 2001.

1. cheapskate

Dec 3, 2000
    I am using a Barcus Berry 300A pickup and I'm having real problems with getting a decent volume out of it in gigs. I am in an electronic band which uses electronic sub bass and various other whizzes and beeps of different desciptions.
    I play through Trace Elliot 300W amp which is fine for my Bass guitar - more than fine in fact. But everytime I try to turn up I get horrible feedback. I have tried every combination on setup, from having the pickup preamp up high and the amp low and vice versa, I have tried making it more trebley, less trebley... everything! But still feedback.
    Is there something I can do with my current setup? or should I go for a different pickup - if so which one?
  2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I've emailed you directly, through TalkBass, with a text extract from the insert I supply with every bass pickup and preamp I sell. It deals with feedback issues and how to avoid it.

I'll also gently point you towards the K&K Bass Max:
    as a pickup that has good sound and high gain before feedback. Disclaimer: I sell 'em, so feel free to suspect my motives.

But not my advice about feedback ;-)
  3. Texbob

May 16, 2000
    Tulsa, OK., USA
    Try a K&K Bass Master Pro w/pre-amp, a good EQ, and some different speaker configurations.
    I bought a K&K system from Bob Gollihur and it is so much better than the Fishman pickup I had. (Thanks Bob).
    I get GREAT TONE & VOLUME!!!
    I backed off some of the bass on my amp, and boosted the treble. The sound is distinct and crisp.
    I play in a 5 piece jump-blues band playing concerts, festivals, parties, clubs, etc.
    Sometimes I really need the extra volume, the only way I got it, was to switch to the K&K.
    Good luck!
  4. rablack

Mar 9, 2000
    Houston, Texas
    Another vote for the K&K Bassmax from a happy customer.
  5. K&K Bass master Pro is the way to go.
  6. `NUFF SAID! K&K does it for me too.
  7. I use a Barbera, and I can get some pretty high levels in a rockabilly band I sometimes play in.