1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What's the best Precision bass under $2k?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by haram1225, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Nash Pb-57

13.0%
  2. Moollon P

15.0%
  3. Fender original P

49.2%
  4. G&L Lb-100

29.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. haram1225

haram1225

Nov 18, 2020
    korea
    I am thinking of buying a used precision bass
    and the options I'm currently considering are:

Moollon Classic P bass
    Nash Pb-57
    Fender Original Series 60s Precision
    G&L LB-100

what would be the best choice?
    I want a sound that's vintage but also versatile.
    Though the relic job looks awesome, I found the nash bass to sound a bit too round and soft, and lacking that mid growl compared to a fender.
    I wasn't able to find a G&L vs Fender or Fender vs Moollon comparison video so I'm kind of lost among those three.
    also, if there are other options that you think I should consider,
    please feel free to share!

2. Luckydog

Luckydog

Dec 25, 1999
    Kind of limited options here. Many other Ps out there in that general price range.

Merlo79, petch, RolandMHall and 4 others like this.
  3. haram1225

haram1225

Nov 18, 2020
    korea
    What other P's should I take into consideration? I was also thinking of including Lakland Bob Glaub but it's slightly over the price range for me

4. PWRL

PWRL

Sep 15, 2006
    Coolsville
    There are probably more Precision-style basses out there for under $2K than probably any other style. It's a whole universe of its own. It somewhat depends on what you're really after. You should consider sound as in modern or classic, feel as in chunky, slim, somewhere in between.
    I see MIA Fender 62 Reissues for sale on Reverb well under $2K all the time, and those are great. My American Special was only $700 and it's a fantastic bass. A good used American Standard would probably serve you just fine for decades without any issue at all, really.

ChainGang70 likes this.
  5. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Better be quick on the trigger if you see a used Moollon under 2k!

You could keep your eye out for a Roscoe Classic. Apparently they are fantastic.

B-Lo likes this.
  6. bassinflorida

bassinflorida turn that dang thing down

Jan 27, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    If you intend to spend near the upper end of $2000 I would not rule out the Ultra P. New of course.

7. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    For that kind of dough I would look for a good 70's Precision.

8. simongpaez

simongpaez Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2005
    The Woodlands , Texas
    American Standard, Professional or Professional II are the best bass you can buy for the money.

9. EmaTheMirror

EmaTheMirror

Oct 9, 2009
    London, UK
    I think you have loads of options for that sum, and used too.

Moollon should be great. Probably borderline for some used Fender Custom Shops in terms of price... Actually, that's a bit too optimistic, but some American Originals or US 50s or 60s reissues are in that range for sure, if Fender is an added value.

Oh, since it'll hardly be brought to the table, I would not rule out a Yamaha BB34, the new "premium" Japanese ones. Actually a bit cheaper than your limit, so that might be an issue choice wise - sort of, paradoxically.
    I know, it's not so much about relic options or P mojo, but the one I tried was mainly about... Being good. That's it.
    Solid and consistent construction, passive vibe with quality in mind, J at the bridge for bonus.
    Though I might want to look at CS level Fender-based boutique brand builds at 2k

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    Ricky Rioli likes this.
  10. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

Look for a used USA LAKLAND BOB GLAUB.

11. jnuts1

jnuts1

Nov 13, 2007
    ok I've been on a Pbass quest for a year now. I am a high end bass guy (ken smith and MTD) and i just need one for recording. I've played a ton of versions and the one i found to be the most comfortable and killer sounding was the Vintera series. I've played 3 of them now and beat everything else I've touched. but I'm am a fender hater so what do I know?

Luigir likes this.
  12. LHbassist

LHbassist Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2003
    Reno, Nevada
    I own five P-basses... lefty's of course. Two are Fender Japan '62 reissues. Basswood bodies, and in spite of all the wood experts out there (I'm a Luthier, by the way) they sound as good in their own way as my Alder and Ash bodied P basses. Really. The fit and finish is excellent, and the red one I have has a truly killer sounding pickup- best stock pickup on any P-bass I have ever owned. My first Precision was a black maple necked 1973. There's a lot of people making Fender P-basses. Why not buy a Fender made by Fender? The American standards, and the modern basses Fender makes now are the best basses they've ever made. Carbon stiffening rods, dual acting truss rod, excellent hardware- why pay 3k for a 'boutique' p-bass, when you can easily find nice fenders for sometimes well under 1k?

bozha, ChainGang70, B-Lo and 2 others like this.
  13. LHbassist

LHbassist Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2003
    Reno, Nevada
    Here's a TB user selling a really nice Fender Japan P-bass.

magic8161

14. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2008

I recently purchased a 2015 MIJ 62PB used. Amazing bass. The neck is one of the nicest feelings P bass necks I’ve touched, and the pickups sound as good as US models for what I’m looking for. The best part - I paid well under a grand for it.

LHbassist and thedovewarlord like this.
  15. REV

REV Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2006
    The thing for me about P basses is the inconsistency. There's good ones and bad ones and which is which is all up to you. The neck shape, overall weight and pickups are all factors. Depending on how long you've been playing, what you like about a bass now may change over time as you gain more experience. You're better off playing as many as you can before you make a decision.

16. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Don’t forget the Ernie Ball Music Man Cutlass Bass. They are starting to get hard to find because they are discontinued, but they are super-nice and fit well into your budget.

17. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Satisfied Nash owner. PB63 with a Steve Harris pickup. Not quite what yore after, but I thought I’d say that Nash would get my attention based on my experience with them.

18. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    The one that feels best in your fretting hand is the best Precision. If that happens to sound different that you want, swap the pickup. They're all really nice basses.

thedovewarlord and eddybuzzard like this.
  19. leonard

leonard

Jul 31, 2001
    Yurop
    You can often find Custom Shop P-basses under 2 grand. But anyway, try many and pick the one you like regardless of brand.

20. natebass0722

natebass0722 Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    I absolutely love my G&L LB-100.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 25, 2021