Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whats the best set up for a nice 70's GROWL sound?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by soma89, Jan 11, 2006.

1. soma89

soma89

Jan 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    I have a MIM Jazz bass, and a (in transit) Ashdown BLue 180W. I'm hoping i could customize a nice growl but in general, What guitar and amp set up will get a nice vintage growl?

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Jazz bass or T bird. Tube head. Sealed cab.

3. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Get a vintage SVT with a vintage 810. If not, get a Bergantino 610 with whatever all tube head you like the best.

4. fender jazz bass 75 re-issue

i have one, that baby growls!!

5. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Fender Bassman 100 or 135 might do it for you, through an efficient cabinet.

6. Pick up a Sansamp BDDI and tinker around with the settings. That should be a quick fix.....

7. Everyone's definition of "growl" is a little different I think.

But in my opinion, if you are looking for a '70s growl, get it the way those guys did - with a '70s Fender Jazz Bass.

8. One thing that I've found that made a lot of difference to me (I've also got a MIM and am going for that growly vintage sound) was simply turning my bridge pickup down a little, that is, if you normally play with both pups at full volume. If full is 12 oclock, try it at around 9 or 10, find the sweet spot in there, it's crazy how much this changed things for me. Though I see you'll have to wait for that amp to try it!

I'm not sure how long you've been playing, so I thought I would make sure to not leave anything out, please don't think I'm assuming you don't know which knobs are which, but just in case, the volume knob for your bridge pup is the middle of the three knobs on your bass.

9. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Yup! Sounds like gospel to me... :smug:

10. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    70's Fender Jazz with a Kustom or old SVT amp

11. Larzon

Larzon

Jan 15, 2005
    Fender Jazz or P (with good pups), Stainless Steel Strings, Tube Head, Suitable Cab(s).

You can't go wrong with this.

12. edbass

edbass

Nov 8, 2004
    Passive p'ups and an old tube amp. Old SVT's and Sundholm era Sunn 200S and 2000S get a great classic growl if you push them a little. You can't get more vintage growl than using the original "vintage growl" gear!

13. also My dream rig:::

The bass of your choice ( either a P or a Jazz bass)
    Ampeg SVT Classic or SVT II

Bergantino NV series cabs.......

:bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

14. Text_Edifice

Text_Edifice

Nov 28, 2005
    P-Bass, 70's tube amp, sealed cab.

[​IMG]

Works good.

15. jvb

jvb

Jul 11, 2005
    Canberra, Australia
    Yeehaa!! Last Vase amp I saw being used was in Adelaide in about 1970, a blues rock band called Hard Time Killing Floor (I think..) That one had the slanted sides on the head rather than the straight sides like yours.

Happy to see one of these still being used. It would go well along with my Eminars, Vadis, Goldentones, Fi-Sonic. :)

16. Text_Edifice

Text_Edifice

Nov 28, 2005
    Yeah just picked it up in the last month - love it (thinking of getting a new cab though). Australian made, hand-built, lovely tone.

I also heard that someone's talking about reviving the Vase brand in Brisbane and making updated versions of the original amps - could be good.

17. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    how about.....
    a gibson ripper and
    an ampeg svt head and cabinet

18. jvb

jvb

Jul 11, 2005
    Canberra, Australia
    I'd be interested to hear about Vase revival if it happens.

The problem with keeping the original tone of these older amps is that the power is low compared to what bass-players think they need, ie 60-100w as compared to the modern 300w minimum. I haven't heard a modern large valve bass amp give the same buttery smooth sound that a pair of EL34s gives. Always willing to be proved wrong tho' :)

These older amps are great for quieter stuff: R&B, jazz and blues, where you don't need the sharp edge and thump of a big amp.

19. Text_Edifice

Text_Edifice

Nov 28, 2005
    I'll keep you updated - word is they have Vase cabs in production right now and are planning to start producing heads in the next year?

I was a bit concerned about the wattage when I bought it (even though I play predominantly funk / soul / r+B ) but it's plenty loud 300w is only going to be 3 and a bit db "louder" anyway and I can't stand in the same room as the Vase when it's up above 5/6.