Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's the best speaker?!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mcbosler, Dec 20, 2001.

1. mcbosler

mcbosler

May 12, 2000
    Plano, TX
    So I've got a blown 18, and want to do a bit o' customization...what brands should i look into? I want lots of thumping for slap, high endurance, etc.

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Dunno. Eden? JBL? I've heard, however, that the 18" is the only speaker in Eden's line that Eden doesn't make. Just a rumor. Maybe true, maybe not.

3. At the risk of being redundant... for 18" bass
    speakers all you have to remember is two words:

Bag End

4. How about re-cone your 18 to fit your specs?

5. Boppingtheory

Boppingtheory

Aug 27, 2001
    Italy
    Look for a 18" Kappa series speaker on www.eminence.com and you'll be really satisfied !

6. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    I contacted Eden about this and they assured me they make even the 18" speakers there at the factory...

7. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Eminence Kappa is a good choice, I tried the Peaveys but they left me a little hot (I wasted them after 3 practices). I am going to unstall JBL 2242H in my rig. I havent tried or heard the Bag End 18's.

Mike

8. http://www.adireaudio.com/cd/maelstrom.htm

5 cubic feet, tuned to 25 Hz, SPL=92.9, F3= 30 Hz.

The RCL L18P300 requires a bigger box at 5.9 cubic feet and doesn't go quite as low, but it has a higher SPL=95.3

9. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Have you tried these?

10. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    That looks like a very nice driver.

11. I've got a dialog going with Dan Wiggins at Adire Audio about this very issue. A quote from his email to me about use for electric bass:
    Adire claims response extends into the KHz range, but I have asked for the -3dB rolloff point specifically. Adire is big into the do it yourself group, and fully discloses all their driver parameters and performance. I will update this thread when I get the information from Dan.

12. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    This could be very interesting. But it seems kinda "iffie" to me, a little to good.

13. The drivers are $300 each.

14. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    Well hell all you need is 2,;) . bgavin, are you gonna be a test mule for the "greater good"? :D

15. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    I'll hand out the toilet paper at your next show, bgavin. ok?

:D

16. I'm thinking long and hard about it, cuz I'm getting weary of packing the two 1x15 subs every week, and they aren't all that loud.

One solution is to build a sealed enclosure for my sub and see if I like the sound any better. The sealed box will cut the nuts off the low end, but it is possible to EQ some of it back. The good news is the smaller box (half size), the bad news is the amount of power and cone excursion required for the sealed box. The transient response is much better in a sealed box, but I'm not sure if that would ever be audible in a live environment. Might be perfect for a lounge jazz gig though.

All the engineers I've been contacting still think the ported box is the solution for live gigs. Least amount of cone excursion, and loudest volume. They also tell me a good driver in a decent alignment will be every bit as "fast" as the 10's that everybody swoons over. I'm trying to learn more about this and will post as it becomes available.

I also found out WinISD is a partial dead-end, as it is inaccurate in some of its projections, and others are missing entirely. I figured I'd try it, as I saw it mentioned here so much. Back to the reliable DOS programs for me.