whats the best strings to use for funk and rb style of playing...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by billybo, Sep 3, 2003.

1. billybo

Jul 18, 2002
    which strings should i get for that..im thinkin about gettin some dr hi beams....any suggestions...and what guauge..??
  2. billybo

Jul 18, 2002
    anyone gonna help me out??
  3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Flats... the tighter and thicker the better!

SIT brand are my choice. Labella and Fender make them good too
  4. The previous post is right on the money. Flat wounds are most often associated with the Motown/James Jamerson thump sound. A past article in Bass Player mentioned that Jamerson never changed his flats until one broke. Hi Beams probably aren't the best choice for this kind of sound. Sunbeams will be a little better if you like DRs, but probably still a little bright.

There's also half/groundwound strings and compressed-wrap strings if you want to retain a little bit of the roundwound feel and zing. I'm fond of Ken Smith Compressors, both for the feel and reduced string noise.
  5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

DR "Marcus" (Fat Beams)
  6. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Can you be more specific about which songs capture the sound you are after? Funk and R&B are big categories and valid answers could range from dead flatwounds to zingy, fresh out of the packet roundwounds.

FWIW, my band fits somewhere in the sort of range that you might be talking about (we call it urban jazz and soul but there's plenty of funk and contemporary R&B influences in there) and I've been happy with Status roundwounds. However, a big part of that is down to the fact that Status rounds are easy to get in a six string double ball end set to fit my bass - I'm pleased with the way they work, but your mileage is very likely to vary.

7. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    as stated above, R&B and funk cover alot of ground. For R&B and soul music, flats would most likely fit the bill. As for funk, round wounds imho just sound better. I use flats on my pbasses I use for that motown vibe. I use different types of roundwounds (stainless and nickels) for the funk stuff. I really dig DR low riders in nickel, DR sunbeams in nickel.