1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What's the best tab of The Lemon Song?

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by Tupac, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    Preferably free if there are any good ones (a rare occurrence).

Also, I read on a youtube that the master tracks for Led Zeppelin II got leaked. Is there a bass track of just JPJ on this?

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    This is going to come off as an anti-tab post, but it isn't. I'm all for using them as a guide. But I promise you he never played that song the same way twice. He just got into the groove and went off for about twenty minutes. So, when you find it, please don't try to nail the original version note for note. Use it to cop some licks and then just throw your head back and GO OFF! It is a fun song to play if you just have at it.

Best of luck with it either way.

3. Songsterr.

Free tab, you can play along, as well as solo the bass part.

4. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    Typically, I DO learn the original note for note (but probably not for a huge bass solo like this) and then, once I've got a feel for it and have a bank of fills to pick from, I just let myself go.

5. obimark

obimark

Sep 1, 2011
    WHile you may learn it note for note - The Lemon Song is an exception- there are pieces of it that are "iconic" lines and then some of the rest is jamming in various E-Minor, and E-Major scales- Mostly at the 7th fret position- and then the 9th Major for the B.
    I play some of the lines from it note-for-note (or as close as anyone can) but in general it is a blues form in E-A-B with FUnky Jamerson type riffs (which is undoubtably who Jones was listening to for most of his inspiration).
    I have had problems playing this with a band, not because of my playing but because it is higher than most singers can sing.

Now to answer your original question- the best tab I have seen is in the Guitar World that first published the full song in 1993- has Metallica on the cover.

6. Antonuzzo

Antonuzzo

Oct 22, 2013
    If you can find it, Chappell / EMI released two two-volume sets covering the first and second box sets. These are full band scores and very accurate indeed.

There are some good versions in GuitarPro format - the software isn't free but is worth investing in. You can isolate tracks, change the playback speed etc.

7. SuperK

SuperK

Sep 12, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Here's a printed tab. It isn't tabbed well though. The notes look correct but they're just tabbed in the wrong fret position. I didn't tab it so I don't know how accurate it is. Just use it as a reference.

Edited: I re-tabbed this. It should be a little better....

Attached Files:

8. Artmartin

Artmartin

Oct 16, 2013
    Very nice post I like your post. I every day visit your post.

9. obimark

obimark

Sep 1, 2011
    Sorry to say, the opening first 2 notes aren't even right! The opening fill is 7th fret D string and 7th fret G-string notes- (or same notesup at the twelfth fret A and D strings)

10. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    This spambot seems a little lost. He's spamming yet not advertising. What is he planning...

11. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    Anyone? No point in spending 5 hours trying to transcribe it if it's already done.

12. Like I said, try Songsterr.com if you haven't already. I just checked the tab and it seems, at first glance at least, quite accurate.

13. SuperK

SuperK

Sep 12, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Or look at the tab I posted earlier.

14. Thanks Superk, appreciated