What's the best TB advice you've gotten?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by szvonek, Jun 1, 2003.

1. Just a random question...I've been a member for a couple years now, and the best advice I read was to use nose grease on your fingers to speed up your playing. I still use that little trick and it's awesome. I owe TB...maybe someday I'll even convert to supporting member for that one...
  2. LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    "Use the search function" :D
  3. every day i learn something more important then the day before
  4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Nose grease? Is that some kind of horrifying euphemism for snot?
  5. Pacman's sure fire scale method in General Instruction. One of the best pieces I've seen. Worth 20 bucks by itself.
  6. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    "Now see here, RASHJIZZ, it's all about playing what you hear in your head..."
  7. hey, that's one way to make sure no drunks ask to try your bass out...

8. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    best advice i have been given:

"use the search"

pay the $20 - i don't want this puppy going under
  9. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Get a teacher.

Listen to all types of music.

Be persistant but be patient.

Lots of good information on amps and speakers.

General encouragement.

Helpful critiques of my tunes.

... etc etc ...
  10. ColdYinTiger

Jul 15, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    That John Turner is really a cyborg from the future hear to protect us from the evil that the four string's shall unleash upon the world!!!!!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

That and practice, practice, practice, as well as overall being around really cool people.

11. Ditto!:D
  12. don't eat the yellow snow:eek: j/k
  13. I forgot to mention Jazzbo's Intro to Theory article. That was one of the first things I downloaded from this site.
  14. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Thank you Roark. I humbly thank you.
  15. NO, Thank You! It's very well written and I learn something new from it each time I work through it.
  16. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    'If you don't have anything nice to say, say it quietly to someone unrelated to the object of your contempt.'
  17. lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    That's friggin' awesome. :D

Okay, second best advice, from MONKEYBUNCHES - Buy the best gear you can afford. You will eventually buy it anyway, and it's far cheaper in the long run than buying in increments. Amen.
  18. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL

The best advice I've gotten here was that hearing loss & earplugs thread (started by Boplicity). I'd never thought too much about hearing protection before that thread. Now I wear plugs all the time and I'm lovin it.
  19. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    How on earth can I possibly narrow it down to the ONE piece of advice? I could go on for hours......
  20. Mickey Shane

Mickey Shane what goes here?

Feb 23, 2003
    Denton, Texas
    How to hook up my amp for more headroom. Along with explanations of why this is better. I used to think that headroom was only used for home stereos. I am a changed man now!

Thx to all who spoke of this magic.