1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What's the best tracking MIDI setup currently available?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Brad Johnson, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Looking at my options. I want to be able to play my lower strings too.

2. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    In my opinion pitch detection midi conversion is never going to be fast enough for lower pitches and fatter strings. It's a physics limitation.

3. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
  4. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Yep, Like Peavey's CyberBass or the SynthAxe thingie Holdsworth still uses sometimes, this uses a sensor system instead of pitch detection conversion, so it's bound to be faster and more accurate for low pitches and high.

Yep. So awesome it's hard to see why more people don't go after it. At least some real high profile people like Gary Willis are beginning to use it extensively.

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Thanks, guys.

6. CelticWarrior72

CelticWarrior72

Jul 29, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Admin of the Chicago Bass Players' Network
    Pitch to MIDI always has a lag associated with it. No way around it. The Peavey Cyberbass/Midibase or new model from Industrial Radio is the way to go.

Although, you can expect a good deal of setup/tweaking to dial in all the parameters.

7. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Anytown USA
    Piezo pickups and Axon if you want to use a real bass. If you're doing just low e, then it works pretty well, the low b thing really is a good bit slower. Other than that get a Starrlabs Ztar.
    I finally gave up on the first and opted for the 2nd.
    Dirk