1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What's the best tube amp being made today?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mastermold, Oct 2, 2008.

1. In your humble opinion, of course! :D

NEW AMPS ONLY! I've read a lot of the Ampeg threads on CL and VR heads currently being made today compared to the old ones, but this thread is about the new stuff only.

What say you?

2. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
  3. pedalguy1

pedalguy1

Jun 3, 2008
    Riverton Utah
    I dont know if you've seen or tried it, but I was at GC the other week and they had that Markbass all tube head. I cant remember the exact name of it, but it was hooked up to a MB 8x10 and it sounded great. When you turn it on it has a little screen on the bottom right corner with a little loading meter like a computer, its old school and new school all in one killer amp.

4. azwhofan

azwhofan Supporting Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Arizona
    Gotta love that a-la-carte pricing structure :)

Seriously tho, didn't know they were still in business. They've been making audiophile gear formany years.

5. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Markbas...i1395924.gc?source=4WFRWXX&CAWELAID=199553929

6. madmaskbass

madmaskbass

Apr 29, 2008
    Australia
    its really hard making such a generalisation when we don't really know what style of music you play or the sound you are after.
    but i will bite and say that the best full tube amp i have played through, which is most of them, is the Mesa Boogie
    400+ it is just a pure evil, speaker shredding monster. Supposidly mesa have stopped making these which is truly sad because they are a true classic head

I don't play one because am more of a fan of the hybrid type heads like my mesa 750 big block only because of the more rounded bass response

7. Sahm

Sahm

Dec 18, 2007
    Delaware, OH
    I had a chance to A/B a Reeves Custom 225 against that Markbass tube head at a gig recently. I played about an hour on each. The Reeves blew the Markbass out of the water, no question. The band and the sound guy agreed. The Reeves gives you that classic tube sound, phat, warm bottom end. The Markbass had a very solid-state sound to it. It made me question why I'd want to carry around that much weight to have it sound like something weighing 5lbs. The Reeves was elegant in it's simplicity. The Markbass does have that neat on-board processor that can do a diagnostics check and bias the tubes for you, but it's not a selling point for me.

8. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    See, this just begs another unanswered question: Does anyone make a DIY tube bass head? This Reeves looks very cool, but that's just too much money for me (The markbass computer stuff just reeks of a few embedded chip and a display used as a gimick)

Anyway, that's a different subject...

9. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    As far as quality (they are apparently still built to pretty exacting specs with top of the line components, etc), I'd bet the new Hiwatts are still near the top of the heap- but they are pretty pricey, especially in the US. They sound insanely huge as well, if their 70s counterparts are any evidence (and I think they are still built to similar design standards, as opposed to SVTs).

That John Wetton P-bass through a cranked Hiwatt is still one of my favorite tones of all time...

Karl

10. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Or the new Eden E300T. Six KT88s for 320RMS into 4 or 8 ohms. Easy to bias: all six test points and adjustment pots are accessible at the back panel.

US$1750 list, 40 pounds.

11. Hi.

I'm a hoplessly vintage kinda guy so even though I haven't tried them, my votes go for Hiwatt and Reeves.

Well, having used the Fame BVH300 amp for about 6 months now, I wouldn't exactly call it the best amp in production ;).

Its good, but nothing stellar. For the 1/3 of the price of an Ampeg (for example) it's more like an amp for a person who doesn't care too much about the fancy brand, just the tubey sound it produces.

And my 6*EH KT88 puts "only" 200W before clipping so I'd really like to see some measurements done with the Eden version. Not that it matters too much, but some truth in advertizing would be nice.

Regards
    Sam

12. the mojo hobo

the mojo hobo

Nov 13, 2005
    Ohio
    Fender Bassman 300
    [​IMG]

Amazingly rich and creamy tone, but it's heavy. And it's loud, Ive never needed to go past 3 on the volume.

$1399.00

13. Fender seems to be making some nice amps these days. :bassist:

14. Scwwitt

Scwwitt

Nov 2, 2005
    Santa Cruz
  15. Still think the best ones today are the ones from yesterday ;-) Sorry but my vote goes to early SVT's, my SVTII. Possibly the SVT-VR, but I'd have to count reliability into this & I can't say how the VR stands in this category.

16. If the SA200 was still in production, it'd get my vote!

17. Gotta go with Mojo Hobo - I got my Bassman 300 about 2 months ago. Love the ability to blend the tone from the clean and dirty channels. It's a heavy mother, but worth the effort.

18. +1 re the BASSMAN 300PRO & the Blending OD/clean- GREAT STUFF!
    Another +1 for the JAGUAR AMPS!! WOW they look GREAT too!! Pity they aint in AUSTRALIA!!! ;-(

19. matamp ;<