1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What's the best type of tuner especially for intonation?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by FunkHead, Feb 27, 2013.

1. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Under $100 Poly? Chromatic? other?

2. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    $12 Snark.

For intonation, Peterson strobe.

3. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Peterson Strobe

4. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
  5. Nino D

Nino D

Oct 31, 2012
    Albany,NY
    Korg Pitch Black:bassist:

6. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    If accuracy is your primary focus, nothing touches the Turbo Tuner: http://www.turbo-tuner.com/

That said the Peterson tuners (Strobostomp, Stroboflip) have "sweetened" tunings (slight tuning offsets) that work really well.

7. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Do they offer that tuner at any other retailer for under $100?

To answer the question asked, I'd recommend the Korg PitchBlack or the Boss TU-3.

8. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    Thanks Fellas. I really like the look of the Turbo Tuner St-200. Even if it's a bit over $100, Maybe I need to bump my $$ limit up. It's only money I guess.:)

9. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I love mine!

10. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    turbo-tuner leaves all others in the dust, it ain't even close.

11. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    I'm Sold! :)

12. oyobass

oyobass

Feb 20, 2008
    Spanaway, WA
    If you have an android phone, try DaTuner Pro. Currently $2.83 on Google Play(https://play.google.com/store/apps/...a.dsp.datuner_donate&feature=nav_other#?t=W10.), or DaTuner Lite (free, no strobotune mode)
    Emulated strobo-tune, accuracy < 0.3 cents @ E3 (329.62Hz), <0.1 cents @ C5(1046.5Hz), < 1 cent @ A2 (110Hz), Large note display and very configurable.
    Downside- not quite as accurate as the $130 Turbo-Tuner is a microphone-only tuner, so it can't be put on a peadalboard or mute output to your amp.

Best Android app I've ever used, works great for intonation. I own several tuners, this one os my go-to one, except for live, where I use my pedal tuner.

13. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    I've tried to set intonation with a number of tuners over the years. First the usual LED "virtual meter" types, then Peterson VS-1, now the Turbo Tuner.

IMHO a strobe type tuner is essential for setting intonation. The precision of strobe tuners will drive you bonkers at first, but it's absolutely necessary to get intonation correct.

14. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Any tuner that's at least as accurate as the human ear. Once you have met that standard, you're good.

15. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    i guess that's true, you can get by with just about anything, but it's nice to have a tuner that's way more accurate than the ear, so you don't run the chance of the error margins stacking in the same direction, which could add up to being less accurate than the ear.

it's also nice with the turbo (because it's analog, therefore instantaneous) to be able to see the transient vs the decay, and also to see any string inharmonicity. that, plus the zero-lag nature of the tuning display, just means i can get there faster on stage and get there more accurately on the bench.

i keep one on my bench as well as all my pedalboards, anything else just feels slow and "opaque" by comparison.

16. gr8bassplayer

gr8bassplayer

Feb 12, 2013
    Nebraska
    I would say a snark, but nothing can compare to a well trained ear:)

17. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    wasting the band's and the crowd's time by relying on a "well-trained ear" on stage between songs is amateur hour, sorry. it'll also only get you into the ballpark for intonation.

(as a player, that "well-trained ear" can help you to unconsciously push and pull the notes into tune while playing, but that's a different discussion.)

18. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    This,

I doubt anyone would be able to hear the difference between a bass intonated using a strobe vs a chromatic.

19. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Absolutely. Besides there is no way the human ear can be as accurate as a good tuner. I have a friend who has an amazing talent for correct pitch. The best I have ever seen in fact. He couldn't match the Peterson though. Being on stage with no tuner is something that I wouldn't tolerate in my band, I can tell you that much.

20. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Gotta disagree. The oldest bone flute goes back 60,000 years so we humans have been playing music a long time. We've had readily available electronic guitar tuners for what, 35 years or so? Through most of history we've used our ears to tune and anyone who plays a horn or fretless stringed instrument is constantly using ears to maintain correct pitch.

I always set my intonation by ear and then check it with a tuner. I'm accurate enough that even if I didn't check it against a tuner I'd be confident recording with it. That said I do appreciate the accuracy of strobe tuners. If you're gonna use one why not use the most accurate one you can get?