Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whats the Best under 500 dollar bass you've ever played/owned???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Scott D, Apr 26, 2003.

1. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    I'm just wondering... has anyone found any cheap ass great basses? I found one, but i was just wondering on some otheres. If you're Into Musicman tone, pick up an Ibanez GSR 200TR, they are amazing. they are like the bottom line Ibanez, but they play like a dream, and sound so perfect. they have the p/j setup, and i got mine brand new right out of the box for 180 bucks. They have a great neck joint, a Sweet body style, the most perfect neck i have ever seen, and the best passive pickups/preamp i have ever heard. I had a souped up Fender p-bass, but i sold it immedieatly. We compared the Ibanez A/B w/ an american Jazz, and the Ibanez had more tone, Better low end, and played much better and was much lighter than the Jazz. If i ever went pro, i would absoulutly have this with me. If your some guy with like Fodera's and Zons and all those, i seriously suggest that you go out and pick up the Ibanez GSR 200 TR. It's sounded amazing through every amp that i've ran it thru (currently i have an ampeg/hartke 4x10 half stack). if you can spare 180-210 bucks, or need a new bass/second/backup/studio bass, i HIGHLY SUGGEST this bass. it is the best sounding bass i have ever heard, and i say that in all honesty. I've played just about everything, THRU everything, but this is the best. get one. there is no way you couldn't be happy. my only gripe is that the tuners that come with it aren't the best.... so you should upgrade them. but this bass sounds just like a musicman stingray/sterling, weighs less, and has a thinner neck. i could go on for hours, but yeah, get one. and has anyone else found good cheap basses???

2. i got my kick Arse Fender 4 string MIM j bass for only 300.

- w00t

3. I got my MIJ '75 Reissue Jazz used for less than $500... I love this bass. Plays and sounds better than many basses that cost 2 or 3 times more...

4. Wownirvana

Wownirvana

Jul 7, 2002
    Athens, GA
    I don't currently have any bass I've paid more than $500 for, but I'll have my G&L L2000 soon enough. I think all my basses rock but the real deal I got was my Danelectro Hodad for $165. It isn't the greatest bass and I would never have it for my only bass, but it is really unique and has a sound that I haven't come out of any other bass. Also, I've played that Ibanez and I didn't think it was anything special, but to each his own~Josh

5. I can't think of any reallly good cheap bass myself right now.. But I've played those Ibanez GSR basses.. And I'm sure I'd pick one up over ANY Fender P, anyday..

6. ESP 400 Series basses are great deals too.

7. Malcom

Malcom

Oct 21, 2002
    The Midwest
    I still play my GSR soundgear bass (1st bass I've ever owned) And some people like my ATK.

I don't get the huge backlash, Ibanez makes a good bass for those of us who don't want to pay for a quilted/spalted obengungo top.:p

8. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Yamahas can be really good for the money, as can MTD kingstons.

9. floydman

floydman Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2002
    southeast CT
    i love the korean spectors for the money

10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

11. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
  12. John Herzog

John Herzog

Jun 14, 2002
    Schertz, TX
    My MIM P-Special, just under $500 when I bought it. MF now sells them for 500+.

GS

13. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I got my spector for $240 used.. its definately on the list. As far as new- I played a USA made Peavey foundation 5 yesterday that was marked down to $300 (list was $750). That was hands down the best 5 string I have ever played under $500. The action was so low you could hardly see between teh strings and frets, and it didn't buzz AT ALL when i ran it througha vigorous test. The low B felt every bit as tight as the E- best low B i have ever played under $1000- even better than my Spector. The Peavey dual humbuckers and passive electronics were completely noise-free, high output, and very punchy and rich. The bass had a nice full warm tone, and the body was light, yet solid. It slapped very nice as well. I was SOOO close to spending my last bit of cash on it... If i had more money I woudl ahve gotten it :(

14. damoN17

damoN17 Guest

Apr 26, 2003
    AZ
    i got a japanese squire j bass, that thing has been thrown across the stage, stomped on more than 100 times, its had about 12 necks on it, the pickup cavities have been rounded out to soap bar thickness with a flat head screwdriver, and it will still bolt up to a neck and play. i have never seen a guitar so tough. i have played it both as a fretted and fretless, and if you put a bartolini soap bar in it, it sounds awesome.
    i once got a 75 fender p bass, with alder body and a nice birdseye neck on it. threw it down on the stage the first time i ever played it and the neck popped off, the 1/4 inch plug bored a chunk about 4 inches out of hte back of the bass and the neck joint heel cracked. also , once i punched a charvel bass at the 12th fret during a show and the neck popped completely off. cheap junk.

korean squier.
    right now im playing a cort curbow 5 fretless, and even though i paid for than 5 bills , they go for less than that now. it is one of the best sounding best playing basses ive ever owned. it blows away any fender fretless, any ibanez, yamaha, any of the mid line fretlesses. the higher end warwicks of course sound better but cost 4 times as much.

i even compared it to a real curbow, the necks are the same except for the ebony vs ebanol fretboard.
    they sounded and played identical, and thje price difference is like 2500 dollars.

15. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    hehe,, You're recommending Fodera and Zon owners to try a GSR200? Hey, to each his own.

I vote for MTD Kingston for under $500.

16. Malcom

Malcom

Oct 21, 2002
    The Midwest
    Not a GSR neccesarily, but there IS a knee-jerk "Ibanez sucks" thing on this site. And Ibanez does make some pretty cool basses.

And no, I don't like Nu-metal.

17. Ibanez SRX500. Cost $300 (good guy discount). 2 HB P/U's, B/T preamp. A seriously decent bass ya'll :D

18. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    my MIJ fenderp/j bass is awesome,i if i chose to would never have to buy another bass,this bass does it all,its better than any new or vinatge fender i have ever come across,and as far as the ibanez gsr200 i ownerd one and its an easy to play bass but has the tone of a tin can,the p-ups are as weak as a new-born baby,maybe w/some decent p-ups it would be decent but i could'nt stand mine long enuff to up-grade it!:bassist:

19. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    The best playing bass is the MTD Kingston but the best sounding bass is the Fender Deluxe Active Jazz V. And my Standard Jazz V sounds better than that...or so it seems.