What's the best version of the SG bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AaronHuff, Jan 26, 2011.

1. AaronHuff

AaronHuff

Oct 31, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    I'm looking for an EB-3 or SG-style bass that's capable of at least a little bit of versatility, sound-wise. The Gibson reissues (regular or worn/faded) look pretty nice, but I haven't been able to get my hands on one yet. How do the Epiphones compare in tone, balance, etc.? If I want to get more than just that old-school thump, am I better off building my own with Warmoth parts (or something similar)?

2. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    THE MADDEST SCIENTIST
    The Gibson SG standard or whatever they're calling it bass isn't so bad. It doesn't lend itself well to playing through a transparent or modern amp. It's a much better match to a highly colored tube amp. Just saying, clean it sounds like hot crap with those thunderbird pickups under faux mudbuckers.

Nonetheless, I want one.

3. brother, i just got an eb-3. its a nice bass, but, in my opinion, not versatile. the bridge pup is crap, useless. it only does the thump sound, with it´s mudbucker.
    some neck diving too.
    my 2 cents.

4. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    They are NOT T Bird pups.
    They do sound better through a tube amp but IMO all basses sound better through a good tube amp.
    Go with the SG, better bass all around than a EB-3

5. fretno

fretno

May 10, 2009
    Nashville
    Warmoth :)
    SGbuild1.gif

6. AaronHuff

AaronHuff

Oct 31, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Anybody know if that DiMarzio Model One would be a good replacement for the standard neck pickup? Maybe there's also a good bridge pickup replacement?

7. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    That bass is pretty. I think it would look better with model ones though.

8. check this out, my eb-3 trough VT-Bass, neck pup.

9. fretno

fretno

May 10, 2009
    Nashville
  10. bassballs_dk

bassballs_dk

Aug 1, 2009
    Denmark
    I Have a SG Standard bass from 2010, and it is a great sounding instrument, the epiphone eb3 is a toy compared to it.
    With rounds it is quite versatile I think (I have no problems playing slap on it) and with flats, I can get the great jack bruce tube overdrive. The bridge pickup on the SG is my favorite, great defined sound and with the neck pickup rolled back to 9 I have clarity and button.

I love this Bass.

I also have a Pre EB MM Cutlass1, And a Tobias Growler, But these days it is the SG that gets all the playing time.

11. Zeb Norris

Zeb Norris

Dec 27, 2010
    Yes it IS a T-bird pup; a "vinatge" t-bird pup. From Sweetwater "Pickups: Neck: Vintage-style TB Plus bass humbucker; Bridge: Bass mini-humbucker".

You can get more oomph out of the bridge mini-humbucker by raising it as close to the strings as possible.

I have an Epi EB3. Unlike the Gibson it's not short-scale.

I've heard great things about the Japanese EB3s (short scale)that were around awhile back. Gibson stopped importing them because they were said to be better than the SG bass they have out.

Tokai also makes a short scale version; they call it the USGB43

12. Zeb Norris

Zeb Norris

Dec 27, 2010
    Very nice! How does it sound? Is it mahogany? If so, does that make it less bright than say an alder/maple Fender?

I'm GASsing for a EB3 short scale with the mudbucker plus P and J pickups. Eventually I plan to put one together. It'll be a PBJ.

13. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Sweetwater is wrong. Want to see a photo of one? It is nothing like a T'bird pup.
    The bridge pup has plenty of punch stock.
    Please do not confuse a Epi with a Gibson. They are nothing alike.

14. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I have one in mine. I like it.
    Read this thread and listen to the sound clips.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=712002

15. Zeb Norris

Zeb Norris

Dec 27, 2010
    I'm not confusing them. The original post is about "EB3 or SG" basses. Gibson isn't the only one who makes them.

Every site that carries the faded SG Bass says it's a vintage TB pup. Obviously it has a different cover... but I assume you're not fooled by that.

On Gibson's site they call it a SG pup. On the other hand, on Gibson's site for the SG standard they say "The pickups in today’s SG Standard Bass — the vintage-style TB Plus humbucker and TB mini humbucker "

Maybe they mean Toy Bass?

As an apparent Gibson aficionado, you surely know they change their pup designs rather often and rather a lot. You could easily have a TB that doesn't have a "vintage" TB pup.

16. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I have one of each in my hands right now. A late model Gibson Thunderbird pup & the SG pup I took out of my 08 SG. Forget the covers, they are nothing alike,the windings are different the output is different, the SG will not even fit in the T Bird rout or cover. When was the last time you saw a T Bird pup with adjustable exposed poll pieces?

17. fretno

fretno

May 10, 2009
    Nashville
    I dig this bass , I posted some clips up above ,It is Mahogany , I'd say it's not really on the dark side not like I notice with Walnut . I probably wouldn't be able to tell blindfolded between those choices . :ninja::bassist::D

18. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Chi-Town
    In my opinion, 1967 EB3. It has the best neck angle. The felt mute worked most of the time. The hipshot replacement bridge works on it just fine. I've seen them priced under $2000 at vintage shows.

19. lowend1

lowend1

Feb 15, 2005
    Under the mudbucker cover of the Gibson is a TB+ - the Epi has a "Sidewinder" pickup under the mudbucker cover. Both bridge pickups are "mini-humbuckers", but they are not the same units. It is also missing the Varitone switch that is on the originals. If you want a bass that sounds like a real EB-3, get a real (vintage) EB-3. The later (1970s) EB-series basses had the mudbucker moved away from its original location at the neck, and closer to the middle of the body. They also used a maple neck, which changes the tone somewhat. The SG Bass is nothing like its predecessor in terms of sound.
    BTW, the TB+ doesn't really sound like a "vintage" Thunderbird pickup. either.

20. bjabass

bjabass

Jan 10, 2011
    Mountain South
    That is one of the prettiest basses I've ever seen.