Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whats the best vintage J pup?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Wolfehollow, Mar 29, 2004.

1. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Well.....it depends on what you're looking for, really. :) I loved the pair of Nordstrand NJ4SEs that were in a NJ Deluxe I had in a while back (now owned by randy at Bass Atlanta), but the NJ4s are more "vintagey". The SEs are super fat and growly. I also really like the Antiquity IIs that are in an Eshenbaugh J4 that it seems like I've played every day since it arrived several weeks ago! I'm really looking forward to using these pickups on future projects. They're very different from the Nordies, much more aggressive and raw sounding, with more of a bright, snappy tone overall, in my opinion...an excellent choice for this particular bass.

Smash gave both of these models a positive review in his review thread, and there are a lot of people who really like the Aeros as well. While I differ a bit here and there with Smash's comments in his review thread (differing personal tastes, I'm sure), I do think that his reviews are very accurate AND are fairly close to what Bass Player came up with when they reviewed similar pickups. Do a search on Fralin, Duncan, and those names mentioned above and you should have it covered. :D

2. Jugghaid

Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    "Best" is very subjective. If you are looking to really nail that "vintage J-bass" sound, the Fralins that Mike Lull uses in his Vintage 4 string basses (I used to own one) are perfect. The Duncan Antiquity II series are also very true to the vintage sound.

Dimarzio ultra-Jazz are maybe a little better sounding to my ears, but less authentic.

3. I'm not looking for the best I am just looking for some nice midrange growl to match up nicely with my vinatge svt. Maybe midrange is an oxymoron for jazz basses although Geddy Lee seems to like them. I will be looking to try some different pickups in a Hamer 2-Tek Cruise Bass if the stock Seymore Duncans don't cut it, maybe some of the Fender Custom Shop Vintage 60's or some Dimarzio Vintage J's if the stock ones are noisy. Anything with Alnico 5 magnets should be a good way to go I would think.

4. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I like the Duncan SJB-1's as a vintage J pup. Next time out I think I'm going to give the Antiquity II's a shot. A couple of folks I've corresponded with seem high on that pup.

5. I love my Lindy Fralin's on my USA Lakland Joe Osborn

6. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Aero's are the best! You should buy some right now! They're amazing! :D

Actually, I have some for sale over in the gear for sale area. But I would say that they have a full, clear sound. If you read SMASH's thread above, he's got a lot to say about them (and others). I'm not really a Jazz bass guy, which is why I'm selling them.

7. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    Jason Lollar j-pickups rule! warm, pleasing high end, punchy, try 'em!

8. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    old thread back from the dead...

So far, I'd have to say the SD Antiquity II's are the best old school sounding J pickups I've heard. My personal taste is for something a bit more modern, but the SD's nail the 60's tone IMO.

9. Fender Custom 60's Jazz Bass, but I prefer the sound of Dimarzio Ultra Jazz in my USA Hamer Cruise Bass.

10. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Custom shop 60's.

Nice to see Airdrie on the board. Say hello to Ralph for me.

11. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001