1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Whats the best was to get a punchy deep warm sound at low volume?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jazzyvee, Oct 3, 2016.

1. jazzyvee

jazzyvee

Aug 11, 2012
    United Kingdom
    I've used a Mesa boogie Walkabout head and various Mesa boogie cabs for ages and one of the things I noticed when playing at home for practice and at a gig last night was that it doesn't give a good full sound at low volumes. The gig was background jazz so low volume needed as people needed to be able to chat.
    But doing that with my walkabout head and powerhouse 1x15 meant there wasn't much bottom end coming through. Something that is never a problem at my regular pub/venue gigs at proper volumes.

My main rig for bigger gigs is an F1-x driving a QSC PLX 2402 and usually I turn the power amp controls to max on the QSC and adjust the pre-amp to suit and that does everything at any volume and is clean, full range and clear of hiss even when very low but that was just overkill for this small gig.

At soundcheck I did try turning the master volume up high on the Mesa and leaving the input gain low but that just introduced hiss even before my bass was plugged in. Any tips I could try?

2. brbadg

brbadg

Nov 10, 2006
    Timonium,Maryland
    Well,you just answered your own question,how is the qsc overkill?
    Is it too heavy?

3. jazzyvee

jazzyvee

Aug 11, 2012
    United Kingdom
    I kind of thought that is one answer but yes the QSC rack is a heavy beast as it has three other bits of heavy kit in it and I was hoping there was a solution using the Mesa but if not then yes that is my best option. :)

4. 14457300_1279836792035804_3945930035585844321_n.
    This does the job for me, amazing big sound at low volume, just get the cab some boundary reinforcement. I'm sure a bit of bass boost and mid scoop would get you there with your present setup?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016