What's The Best Way To Adjust My Action?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by supernaut_1, Mar 16, 2003.

1. supernaut_1

supernaut_1 Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    adjusting it at the bridge or the truss rod? i just got an ibanez sr490 and i wanted to adjust the action. i want it as low as possible without any fret buzz. i'm having peticular buzzing problems on the 7th fret of the A string. so is it better to adjust it at the bridge or truss rod? the neck already has a slight bow so i think that's the way it should be but i don't know. should i take it to a shop to get setup?
  2. The truss rod has nothing to do with action (ok, well, maybe a bit), but to do an adjustment to actual string height, you have to do it at the bridge. The truss rod just straightens or bows the neck. If you were gonna do a setup though, you might as well do both.

Take it to a shop to get it setup if you don't know how or have never done it before. Watch the person who sets it up do it and ask him what you need to do it yourself.
  3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Adjusting the truss rod affects the action but it's not meant to do that. The truss rod is to adjust the neck & if the neck need adjusting, you adjust the truss rod. If the neck needs no adjusting, set the action from the bridge.

You could also look in the <a href="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&forumid=18"><b>SETUP FORUM</b></a> :)
  4. tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    ...don't we all!:D
  5. supernaut_1

supernaut_1 Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    i don't think i need to adjust the neck because i has a slight bow in it like it should. but i guess i'll take it to a shop because i don't think i'm adjusting the bridge right because the action is getting pretty high but i'm still getting buzz. i've always read that ibanez soundgears can have really low action without buzzing.:confused: could someone tell me what a good average action height is?