Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's the best way to find a drummer in your age range?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by AmplifyYourBass, Aug 12, 2005.

1. AmplifyYourBass

AmplifyYourBass

Dec 7, 2003
    Alright, this isn't the exact same as the "how to attract a drummer" thread and I've been looking so hard that I just have to ask some of you guys that have had to undergo the same task.

So me and a friend of mine (who is a guitar player -- an awesome one at that) decided to kick up a band again (we had a go-around a few months ago that didn't go so well because of...you guessed it...lack of a dedicated drummer). We've found a potential lead singer, which was my friend's job to find, and it's my job to find a drummer. I've talked to drummers I know personally and people some of my friends know that play drums and they're ALL IN BANDS ALREADY!!! :spit:

So what do I do then? I resort to asking other guitar and bass players I know. Hell, I even searched MY SPACE ( :help: ) for a drummer in Memphis, but all search results were guys who were 20 or older. I'm looking for a person that's in the 15-18 (or 19) age range. I've posted on drummer message boards, but every thread gets 0 responses. As you can see, I'm running out of ideas. I'm not worried about whether or not the drummer will be dedicated -- I'll find out for myself when the rest of the band and myself sit down and jam with one. Right now I just need a drummer in my age range that lives in my city.

Any suggestions? :help:

2. The best way is usually some kind of local classified add. it will reach the largest amount of people. It cost a little bit of cash but you should get something out of it.

Another good thing is if your local music store has a bulletin board for such things as "drummer wanted" ...
    You can also do the same thing at places that rent out band rehearsal space.

list your qualifications like age range, etc...

3. AmplifyYourBass

AmplifyYourBass

Dec 7, 2003
    This is another idea I've been flirting with. I'm still open to other ideas.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I have found exactly one musician I could stand working with out of the hundreds who have replied to the ads I ran in the past. I won't say they don't work because they sometimes do, but more often than not you find whack jobs and head cases. So be prepared. The best way is to hang out with musicians you like and ask for recommendations. Not always an easy thing to do if you're just starting out, but when musicians are looking for other musicians, they always try to get players they already know and use ads as a last resort.

5. Yep, networking is the way to go IMHO. :)

6. AmplifyYourBass

AmplifyYourBass

Dec 7, 2003
    I was worried about this. That's why I'm holding off and, like you said, use it as a last resort.

7. I agree with networking as a better idea, but....in the original post he mentioned he already tried that:
    Yes, with classified ads you will get some people who are slightly off, but you will find someone who fits the bill.

I have done it more than once and yep it is somewhat of a PITA as you interview perspective band mates. The upside is you will get genuine people as well, and broaden you network in the long run.

The last time I went through this is my best example.

We were looking for a drummer as well. We interviewed (tried out) quite a few as we were already a growing somewhat popular band. The end result was we had more than one to choose from and so happened the one we picked, turned out he was a retired pro with many connections that we benefited from. Not in the plans at all.

8. AmplifyYourBass

AmplifyYourBass

Dec 7, 2003
    Damn, talk about good fortune. I think I'm just going to go to some of the local music stores around here put up some cheap flyers on their bulletin boards. Hopefully that will garner some attention.

9. AmplifyYourBass

AmplifyYourBass

Dec 7, 2003
    WOOOOOOOO!

Found one. My guitar player found out that some guy he's known for 2 YEARS (!!) plays drums. Says he's been looking to play with a band for a while and would love to join.

Damn, these drummers are like incredibly, ridiculously hot girls you just met. They're rare, and if you find one, she's probably taken.

Drummers = elusive. :smug:

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Most of the drummers in my age range are dead.

11. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Drummers and guitrists are like butts and belly buttons.....

Yes everyone has one.....

and most of them stink

and they seem to be everywhere...bass players = elusive