What's the best way to go?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tbass-chicago, Mar 2, 2006.

1. tbass-chicago

Oct 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL

I'm running an Ampeg B2R into an 8 ohm Avatar 2x10 NEO. The B2R sounds great and all the sound guys are happy, and I've been impressed with the Avatar, and it's only 40 pounds. The B2R only puts out maybe 150 watts at 8 ohms however, and I often get buried. When I bought the rig, I was supposed to be going through a sound system at all the gigs, but that changed and then I added a second band which is LOUD.

So, to increase my volume, I figure I have these options for relatively the same amount of money:
    1. Buy another 8ohm Avatar 2x10 NEO. Gear size increases, but so does volume. $300 delivered.
    2. Buy a power amp, like the QSC RMX850, and run it in MONO. Avatar claims the 2x10 NEO takes 700 watts, so I could try and get all of the wattage I can out of that cabinet. My rack is heavier, but my gear size stays the same. $320 + shipping. (If anyone has a better power amp suggestion in that price range, please let me know).

Which is the better way to go? Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. stringsmith

Apr 7, 2005
    IMHO I would buy the second 210. The price is cheaper and that gives you a 4 ohm load which means more power as well as more speaker surface area. Also, now you have a spare speaker in case one goes down.
  3. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Choose #1.

You would have to dump a LOT (like 4x) more power into your cab to make a serious difference in volume. Just because you cab will take 700w before catching fire, doesn't mean it will sound good or hold up well.
  4. tbass-chicago

Oct 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    #1 is the way I'm leaning, since I believe that having more speakers pushing more air will help with the volume tremendously.

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Well....if you go with another cab, you go from 150 watts to 350 from your amp (assuming 4 ohm total load) to a cab that can handle 700 watts.

Using the Ampeg like a pre and going with a power amp will supply more power to the cab and reduce the chances of clipping the amp just to keep up.

Headroom, sir, is your friend, and that's why I'm bucking the trend and going with the power amp option, but I'd research the "mono vs stereo" issue, if I were you :D
  6. Option 1 - you're not going to get heard in a LOUD band with only 2 10s, no matter how much power you give 'em.

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Forgot he was only using a 2x10, true he won't have a lot of the low end but 10's are good at cutting thru the mix. I still stand by my call.... 700 watts out of ANY cab is serious power.....
  8. Nay, 700 watts out of a 210 is still just coming out of a 210. The much cheaper and more effective way to more volume is more speakers. Get yourself the 212, put it under the 210, and if you're STILL having problems, consider the poweramp.
  9. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    "Tremendously" is probably *not* what you're going to get. Adding speakers helps, but it's not magic, any more than adding watts is. Adding another 2-10 is not gonna turn your rig into the equivalent of a 100 W stack. If your band is really loud, sooner or later you're gonna need BOTH more speakers AND more power.

I'd say, get the speakers now, and start saving for more power.
  10. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I would go with a 2x12 Neo or a 4x10 Neo- that should give you enough speaker area for some time to come.