Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what's the best way to hold a pick?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by whitenoise, Mar 6, 2003.

1. whitenoise

whitenoise

Jan 11, 2003
    does anyone know the best way to hold a pick cos i cant get the speed with the technique i currently using. ive been watching live tapes of metalllica and trying to copy jason newsteds way but i dont get where he's actually holding the pick. any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Hold it in between your thumb and index finger... :spit:

3. just practice going up and down the e-a-d-g fast

4. fireworks_god

fireworks_god

Oct 30, 2002
    I've found that it just takes a lot of frustrating, agonizing time to find the right way to hold the pick while alternate picking (not to mention, what size and type of pick). It took me a hell of a long time to finally build up the muscles in my right arm and to get the pick to always stay in the right position to pick right. I suggest just taking a lot of time to work on it and only it.
    I myself hold the pick with my thumb and both my index and middle finger, rest my hand on the saddle (sorry if that isn't the right name, i'm talking about the metal piece where the strings attach to the guitar), and I use the heavy Clayton picks from Musicians Friend. I can now play really fast parts when I need to, but it took a long time to get here.
    (and to those people that think people who play with picks have no talent whatsoever, i can play almost just as well finger-style, but I don't prefer to play that way)