Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what's the best way to play this?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by szvonek, Jan 3, 2006.

1. For some reason I always struggle with this general pattern when played as 1/16th notes or faster (on my right hand):

-------------7----
    ----------7-------
    ---5--5-----------
    ------------------

It's like a reverse rake, and it drives me crazy. Has anyone found a special finger pattern that works best for this? I usually end up doing something like 3-2-1-2 or 1-2-1-2...I'm guessing 3-2-1-2 might work best with practice, but are there any tricks out there that I don't know about? That seems like a dumb question now but I've already typed this much and who knows...!

2. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    I'd do a 1-2 and then slide my 1 up the strings

3. I would imagine the best way is whichever one works for you... personally, I'd play it 1-2-1-2.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, 1-2-1-2. No raking. Raking bad. Alternation good.

5. grazi all...I'll try practicing the ol' 1-2-1-2

6. unless you are trying to get your 3 finger picking up to scratch, in which case just practice 3-2-1-3 until you get it. string skipping like this is the hardest part of getting smooth 3 finger picking down, IME. (i assume form your original post you are using 3 fingers normally:))

7. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    3-2-1-3, 2-1-3-2, 1-3-2-1

or

1-2-1-2, 2-1-2-1

or

4-3-2-1, 3-2-1-4, 1-4-3-2

Depends on how many fingers i wanna use, and it's very important that you develop a plucking pattern which will become muscle memory... just plucking randomly is not good, nor is raking...

8. what he said :)

9. eekmo

eekmo

Feb 13, 2004
    Sachse, TX
    or...
    Open hammer-pluck : (l)1 (r)t (r)1 (r)2

depending on context.