Whats the best way to scallop a neck?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Skips, Jun 19, 2004.

1. Skips

Feb 19, 2003
    Did it once on a geetar with a dremel, and it came out okay, but not too even, and some of the frets got a bit scratched in the process.
    Any advice?
  2. I can't imagine why you'd want to scallop a bass. The strings are so big I've never had a problem with the fingerboard getting in the way. It would look cool though. :)

I find that using an assortment of files works well. It may take a little longer than a dremel does. When I did my guitar, I covered the frets with masking tape to protect them, then trimmed on either side so that only the fret wire was masked. If I remember correctly, I gave up on that part of the way down the neck and just decided to be careful. No problems there.

I didn't want my scallop to have it's deepest point in the middle; I wanted it right behind the fret, since that's where my finger goes anyway. To that end, I filed down to the depth I wanted with a round file, a little over a 1/4 inch in diameter. I then made the surface slope down from the preceding fret to the bottom of my first trough using an assortment of round and flat files in varying sizes. I sanded my work with medium grit sandpaper, suitable for stripping paint and leveling wood a little, and then with fine sandpaper.
  3. Skips

Feb 19, 2003
    I want in scalloped because I've never tried a scalloped bass, but my scalloped geetar is so much better for tapping, hammer-ons, and bending, that I think I'd really like it a lot on a bass.

It came with an unfinished maple board, which is starting to turn green with use.

Will it be nessasary to finish the scalloped fretboard to stop that turning greeen, or will it be okay since my fingers won't really ever touch it?

Also, do you have any advice on scalloping slotted fretboards that haven't been put on a bass yet?
  4. My guess would be that it will be fine. A finish doesn't seem to stop that anyway, since both my guitar and bass have green patches on the side of the neck.