What's the best way to share your music after a gig?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Shen, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Shen

Shen

Oct 19, 2015
    Now that cds aren't as common, I was thinking of maybe business cards with links to our spotify or bandcamp and facebook. Or maybe some kind of download code on a card that we could either give away for free or for a small payment. My guitarist thought business cards seemed lame, and I never see other bands use em. He said that they seem a bit too professional and not very "punk". We had stickers with our band name and QR codes to our website that looked cool, but nobody knew what QR codes were or didn't have the app. I thought about flash drives, but even the cheap ones on amazon weren't very cost-efficient.

Someone told me I could give away gig flyers and write our links on the back, and I thought that might be cool, but I don't always have access to flyers depending on the type of show and venue. We still have cds available, but we only sell them to other bands or people at house shows that come prepared to buy merch. I just bought a card swiper for my phone too, since a lot of people don't seem to carry cash now. We also have shirts, but I wanted to find a way to share our social media presence/recordings. Maybe share our twitter/instagram too

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    The business card thing isn't a horrible idea. Just keep in mind that handouts of any kind are about 10% effective at best. (Well, they were back in the late 90s when I studied this kind of stuff being an ad guy for two rock radio stations.) So plan on 90% or more of the people who receive a card for a free download doing nothing with it.

3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Also being a 90s guy... who successfully got the name The Nerve! at that time to be a recognizable name in NYC, I'm going to think out loud for a moment :)...

I haven't marketed my own band in about 10 years, but now that you bring it up along with the idea of cards, what I think I'd do it this. Have a card made with only 2 things on it. Your logo (big) and a scanable bar code that will take people directly to your music. The way The Nerve! marketing worked was we used to post flyers every weekend where our logo would take up at least half the flyer, and rest of the info would go below. We didn't care if people knew where we were playing (most that see flyers never show up anyhow), we just wanted the name etched in people's minds. And it worked. Day in and day out people couldn't avoid seeing our easy to read logo, even from a 1/4 of block away. I don't get when people use really hard to read logos, and think the club their playing at should be bigger than their band name on a flyer. It's all about getting the name out there, IMO.

4. PauFerro

PauFerro

Jun 8, 2008
    United States
    I still have people asking me for our CD, and we don't have one. If you just want to share the music, I think social media is the best way, and get a like at the same time to build traffic at other venues, if you are local....

brbadg likes this.
  5. Shen

Shen

Oct 19, 2015
    Yeah, I don't expect most people at shows to look us up or use our download card. I was more concerned about the people that do come talk to us after shows. They usually ask about the best way to find us online. We operate so many social media sites for our band, that I'm not sure which one to share. I usually tell them to look us up on facebook or bandcamp, but I always feel like I'm being vague by suggesting that since they need to put effort into searching for our band. I already have trouble remembering the names of some bands we play with and finding them online, so I wonder if these people will remember or take the time to figure out how to find us.

6. Shen

Shen

Oct 19, 2015
    I'm actually fascinated at how bands promoted before the internet boom, since I actually don't care for social media :). I didn't see my first concert until I was 25 and joined my band, where they introduced me to the awesomeness of live music. (I just played many instruments my whole life and listened to cd's) I don't know what it's like to be a passionate music fan though and how they discover music and local shows.

I'll have to double my effort on posters. I never thought about it as brand recognition. I've met some new people in town, and they said that they've seen our band name on flyers. It was cool to be recognized, but I felt discouraged cause it didn't seem like the posters were bringing in any new people. I get what you mean about the logo size too. There are some interesting, hand-drawn posters for bands, but I literally have to stand a foot away and stare at it for a minute to figure out the band name and details. I usually have to take a picture with my phone and zoom in later when I have time to decipher it.

7. neckdive

neckdive

Oct 11, 2013
    Depending on your marketing budget, branded thumb drives might be an option for you. They're a few dollars each and could have your band's logo/name on it with music, photos, bio, links, etc.

Once folks use them to hear your stuff they may keep them hanging around in a drawer for some future utilitarian use.

Lownote38 likes this.
  8. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    :cigar: Back in my day....

We walked uphill both ways to the record store. We looked at the flyers in the music shops, checked out monthly zines, or gravitated towards certain labels when they'd add something new to their roster. More often than not, the cover art on a new release you never heard of was very important.

I'm talking 12" records that often came with candy (posters, lyrics u can actually read, etc), not CDs where covers became disposable or MPs which don't even come with a cover! Bah, kids these days :rage:

Passinwind, Atshen and ak56 like this.
  9. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I always looked at it as though we were laying all the wood, sticks, paper, and lighter fluid for a fire. If we got a good spark, we were ready to go. We got the spark. I think though we needed a flame :). Or at least to fan what we got started a little more. We wound up after 10 years of doing it though at each other's throats, and had to lay it to rest.

For a few years after though people would say they heard of us. And I'd run into an occasional stranger wearing a Nerve T-shirt which was always cool to see.

10. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

We have a merch table with vinyl, cassettes, shirts, patches, and stickers.

11. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    The way we share our music after a gig? Our fans post videos on farcebook of us playing. Absolutely free and it isn't coming from us, it's coming from people who have seen us and like us. We did the shirts and hats thing a year ago, charged enough to basically break even on them. We're just a bar band, we ain't got no merch table.

PS: Knowing that somebody is going to shoot video has helped me tidy up my on-stage behavior. I have all kinds of tics, like pushing my glasses up against my nose, turning away from the crowd for a sip while the guitar plays a solo intro, etc., that I've stopped myself from doing thanks to this.

RoadRanger likes this.
  12. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I wouldn't snap a thumb drive given or sold to me by someone I didn't know into my computer, but I'm old.;)
    I think these days with all the social media, a good link to your page on a card would suffice.

Passinwind likes this.
  13. Kun2112

Kun2112

Nov 2, 2013
    A business card doesn't have to be a "business card." Call it a membership card to the Legion of Thrash or Mosh Pit or what ever you want to call it. It doesn't even have to be a 3.5" x 2" rectangle. Get creative. Even better: if your logo is not a super complex shape, use that shape for your card.
    Just make a "membership card" with logo and tag line on front, with a QR code/link/whatever to website and a blurb about "Use code 'somethingclever' for free stuff!" on the back. It is still only a 10% hit rate, but better than what you have now.

@Joe Nerve is absolutely right on brand/logo recognition. If someone recognizes a band name when they see the marque, they are more likely to pay the cover.
    Sadly, where I live now has ordinances against fliers, 20 years ago some of the ones on campus were brilliant.

skwee likes this.
  14. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    The best way to share your music after a gig: softly sing a refrain directly to one (or two) of your most enthusiastic and shapely fans, as you each drift off into deeply satisfied post-coital slumber.

Don't they still cover this in basic music marketing classes?

15. Many moons ago I was recruited by a band that already had a large banner with the band name to hang behind us when we played.... In some Medieval looking Old English font. I'd have people stare right at it while asking me what it said. So yeah, large enough to read from aways back and LEGIBLE would be good.