Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's the best way to ship a tube amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ralphdaddy, Feb 8, 2005.

1. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    The title speaks for itself, I'm selling one and buying another and would like to know the best way possible, thank you gentlemen.

2. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    In my experience, the original shipping box is always the best way. But if you don't have one, then I'd take it to a music store and let them do it for you. Chances are they have the right materials for a good packing job. If you don't have one nearby, then wrap it several times with some extra large bubble wrap and put it in an oversized box with styrofoam peanuts.

Just as a side note, Never EVER ship anything in a roadcase.

3. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Should I remove the tubes and ship them separately, individually wrapped in bubble wrap in another box? Good call though, I'd have never thought of taking it to a music store, thanks!

4. frankenfrankie

frankenfrankie

Feb 6, 2005
    and wrapt them in bubble wrap. place them in small extra box. ship separately or in the same box.

my husband has done this several times with fender guitar amps. and also ordered them and even new they come with tubes uninstalled.

5. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Perfect, thanks for the help! I appreciate it and will most assuredly follow your plan. Have a good one.