Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's the Best Wood?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Worshiper, Aug 23, 2004.

1. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    I'm about to start my new bass and i wanted to make a neck through in which there are no wings! That's right! One piece of wood, neck, "wings", and all. Almost like Parkers are made. Now I am faced with choosing the right wood. What do you all think?
    Previously I've used hard and desne woods like walnut and mohagony. I don't think that they would work in this case though because I am going to be doing some carving to get the body the shape I want and to make the neck. What kind of would would everyone else use. By the way, I you have any suggestions on shapping a neck from scratch they are more than welcomed.
    Thanks.

2. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    In addition to the info in Peter's link, I think both walnut and mahogany are great woods for this kind of venture.

Please remember, that you are making a neck with wings. That means, you need to design and construct a good neck, and then worry about the rest. In short, the wood must be good for necks.
    This means that you will have to choose a wood that is rather on the heavy side, stiff and pretty dense. Whereof walnut, mahogany, maple, ash and birch are a few that first come to mind.