What's the Best Wood?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Worshiper, Aug 23, 2004.

1. Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    I'm about to start my new bass and i wanted to make a neck through in which there are no wings! That's right! One piece of wood, neck, "wings", and all. Almost like Parkers are made. Now I am faced with choosing the right wood. What do you all think?
    Previously I've used hard and desne woods like walnut and mohagony. I don't think that they would work in this case though because I am going to be doing some carving to get the body the shape I want and to make the neck. What kind of would would everyone else use. By the way, I you have any suggestions on shapping a neck from scratch they are more than welcomed.
  2. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    In addition to the info in Peter's link, I think both walnut and mahogany are great woods for this kind of venture.

Please remember, that you are making a neck with wings. That means, you need to design and construct a good neck, and then worry about the rest. In short, the wood must be good for necks.
    This means that you will have to choose a wood that is rather on the heavy side, stiff and pretty dense. Whereof walnut, mahogany, maple, ash and birch are a few that first come to mind.