Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

whats the best wooods

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ashton, Jun 24, 2001.

1. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    i want to know what you think the best woods are to make a bass from for the best bass tone. can be any combination of woods and i need to know the body, neck and fretboard woods of your choice.
    thanks guys
    Lukas

2. swamp ash body/maple top w/ maple neck - snappy sounding...<br><br>alder body, maple neck/rosewood fingerboard - vintage jazz setup.... i think one of the best woods for an allround usable sound is maple. body or neck.

3. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Oak neck and elm body.
    Or hornbeam/birch and poplar.
    Or wenge and koa.

Bottom line: any stiff and hard wood for the neck. Any light and soft wood for the body. And perhaps an exotic top for appearance.
    Any wood combination as above will give you a good bass tone. Whether you like it or not, is a very different question!

4. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    Suburban, i know what types of wood to use for basses but i want to know what will look best and get the best tone. i was leaning towards a more lighter colored top like flamed maple and a body of maple and probably the neck of maple, i want it to be a neck through and a strings through(will that sound good???????????????????????????help) and i probably will go for black hardware and a real dark fretboard(help on that aswell please).
    thanks
    Lukas

5. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Bubinga/Wenge

6. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    There is no such coherence. One piece of maple will not give the same tone as another.
    A neck-thru with strings thru will work nicely. IMO the second best solution to a tail-tuned nek-thru.
    You could add a strip of wenge or oak to the neck, to get a more even resonance - probably (see above). Wenge is also very dark, and will conform to your black-and white impression.
    I would suggest afselia or basswood for the body back, light colour, light weight, nice tone. And will save some maple for some other in need ;)
    A really dark fretboard would be ideal. The wood is called west african ebony.

7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

ONe really nice tone wood that would make an eye-candy body top is lacewood. It shouldn't cost you much either because it is native to your country,

Here's a sample -

[​IMG]

It's not heavy and dense, so pair that up with a bottom of something like walnut, swamp ash, or mahogany and you've got a nice instrument.

Your thought on a maple top and a maple bottom - Not a good idea. That thing would sound so bright you'd have to wear sunglasses and it would sound so wimpy other basses would bully it around.

8. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    I think it depends on what kinda wood for what kinda part of the bass you want. Different woods = Different kind of tone. Just changing the fretboard wood will change all the sound. So I can't really say "I LIKE THIS WOOD" because that could go as a fingerboard, neck, or body.

For Fingerboard: Ebony or Wenge
    Neck: Maple
    Body: Maple/Alder never really tried Ash.. Northern Ash was cool

9. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    Ricabass, do u mean lacewood is native to Australia? if so that is cool, i thought all the good woods grew in forest on mars, hehe. i thought all good woods came from USA.
    flame maple top with a line of lacewood,
    mahogany back,
    maple neck, ebony fretboard and black+grey hardware.
    is that a good idea? will it look good?
    i called my local wood supplier people and gave them the sizes and stuff:
    flame or quilted maple, 18in x 13in x .5in
    mahogany, 18in x 13in x 1.5in
    lacewood, 18in x 4in x .5in
    maple, 3in x 45in x 3.5in
    ebony, 3in x 26in x .3in
    ill tell ya all the prices and stuff. any advice or helpful webpages or anything would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks alot guys
    Lukas

10. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    Ricabass, do u mean lacewood is native to Australia? if so that is cool, i thought all the good woods grew in forest on mars, hehe. i thought all good woods came from USA.
    flame maple top with a line of lacewood,
    mahogany back,
    maple neck, ebony fretboard and black+grey hardware.
    is that a good idea? will it look good?
    i called my local wood supplier people and gave them the sizes and stuff:
    flame or quilted maple, 18in x 13in x .5in
    mahogany, 18in x 13in x 1.5in
    lacewood, 18in x 4in x .5in
    maple, 3in x 45in x 3.5in
    ebony, 3in x 26in x .3in
    ill tell ya all the prices and stuff. any advice or helpful webpages or anything would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks alot guys
    Lukas

11. rickbass

Lukas - As a matter of fact it is usually referred to by many luthiers and lumber industry people as "Australian lacewood, " even though it also grows in Asia.
    I wish all the good woods did come from the USA. That would certainly make things a lot more reasonable for most of us in the custom market here. For instance, macassar ebony. Beautiful wood, makes a good fingerboard. In the US, for the guy on the street, like me, it's $42+ (US) per board ft. Another Talkbasser, arvidgunardi, had a bass built and got his for free! Why? He lives in Jarkata, Indonesia, and it grows like weeds there.
    IMO, Latin America, Asia, and N. America have the widest array of beautiful tone woods. Africa has some luthier woods that you just can't ignore, but most of them aren't much to look at, unless you like a uniform color with little figuring and microscopic grain.

Well, you've already got the wood ordered. Will it look good? Hard to say because the same specie of wood from different sources can look very different. Some don't bother to get nice figuring/grain/color, some won't accept anything but. Hopefully, you are able to see the actual pieces they intend to sell to you or pics of it.

JUst my opinion, but it'll be a shame to hide that lacewood in the middle of the sandwich if it has the characteristic "quilted" figuring. But, the only way I know around that is to make the back out of one piece each of mahogany and lacewood.

Which kind of "helpful" webpages did you mean? If it's wiring take a look at http://user.aol.com/kandyblu/private/wire.html

What would be really cool, to me, is to make your own pickups. I think it's the www.lmii.com catalog that sells a video on how to make your own pickup winding machine and how to wind pups.

12. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    cool, all the stuff will be pretty cheap, i hope.
    i probably wont even see the wood before i get it so im not sure what its grain and figurings like, but she asked what it was for and i told her so i think she will get good stuff. the lacewood will run just under the pickups so it better be good. ill get emg active pickups cause they are pretty cool.
    later
    Lukas

13. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    i couldnt be bothered wiring my own pups and i think someone else could do a better job and alot quicker.
    later
    Lukas

14. Rockinjc

Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Michigan
    Tiger is the best!
    j

15. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    well i asked for the cheapest one, tiger, quilted or flame. so im hoping for the best.
    later
    Lukas

16. rickbass

Well, you didn't say which kind of "helpful web pages" and it sure sounded like you were making your own since you ordered your own wood.

If you want to get anywhere on this board in the future, I suggest you show appreciation to people who try to decipher your ambiguity instead acting like a boot head.

17. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

yup! or afzelia or boire rosewood for the body.

:D

jason

18. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    no disrespect man. im only starting to make it i havent got anything for it yet but im getting the wood and stuff and making that, im not confident enough to do the pups yet and i dont think id do a good job. helpful pages, stuff on designs or something-anything but the pickups sorry, im getting a friend to do the electricals.
    later
    Lukas