1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What's the BEST year for an AMPEG SVT CLASSIC '94?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dasparks2004, Mar 15, 2008.

1. dasparks2004

dasparks2004 I LOVE TUBES

Dec 4, 2007
    Seattle
    I've heard here and there that many people do not like the classics anymore but did back in the day. When did you like them if you don't anymore?

Now this is the real important question... can anyone tell me of any changes in construction and tone that they have noticed from say 1985-present? (I already know about the speakons)

I am fully aware that most people are probably going to say sometime in the 70's was their hay day but I'm MORE interested in 85 on only.

**sidenote** I did read somewhere that between 90 and 94 the classic was replaced by the SVT-II (pro I think) but was then brought back. Is that true?

2. They did not make classics during the 70's, in fact I think they made the first ones after the SVT-II's during the mid 90's, not sure though. Classic is part of the brand name of some of the the St Louis heads, I'm not saying they are bad heads but they are not SVT's, they have only made one SVT and it's run was from 1969 through 1979 here in the US (which are the best ones in most people's opinions), then from 1980-1984 in Japan, anything else is not an SVT, it is an SVT-XX.

The SVT-Classic is an SVT-Classic, it is not an SVT. Nothing they make nowadays is a real SVT and that includes the VR. If you want THE sound buy a 70's (any year) SVT and have it restored if it needs it, you'll never regret it and they are extremely reliable.

3. dasparks2004

dasparks2004 I LOVE TUBES

Dec 4, 2007
    Seattle
    Great info. Thanks for your help.

What don't you like about the VR?

A few reviews I've read about it were really positive saying that side by side to a real 70's SVT, especially on a live stage which is really my main concern, sound about the same. Most of studios I've been to have a 70's SVT anyways :)

4. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Actually, the first 500 run of SVT-HD basically ARE SVTs, at least the main channel. They have some different values in the preamp, but can be changed back and a 12DW7 put in. The power amp will take directly a 12BH7, and with those two things it is an SVT. Most of the vendors of parts were the same even.

The MTI Japanese SVTs are about the same thing as the HD..... or original SVT, but many/most also have the 12AX7 in place of the 12DW7.

VR is NOT a physically identical SVT like the 500 run was. And the tube content is different from but totally equivalent to the vintage SVT, although circuit is same. The US ones also used the old vendor transformers, but the imports will not as of very shortly if not already.

Classic is a very different animal. Re-tuned, and a little more modern than the vintage. Similar, not same, does not claim to be.

5. '94, maybe? :eek: :)