What's the Bias control in Zoom MS-70CDR's TheVibe?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BunchyMutt, Aug 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. BunchyMutt

BunchyMutt Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I just discovered what TheVibe on the MS-70CDR can do post distortion in my chain set to Chorus mode, speed and depth pretty low, and Bias full up. Thickens it up, seems like it makes the fundamental more clear. Seems like a pretty dramatic preamp effect that's more than an eq curve. Ridiculously surprised by this, I'm sort of reconsidering my entire board around it.

I'm not understanding what the Bias does though. The effects list describes TheVibe as "unique", and the Bias control as "Adjusts bias of waveform modulation." 100 sounds pretty much like 0, ~50-60 takes a lot of bass content out, and 75-100 adding a lot of thickness. I'm trusting my ears for what sounds good but I'm still curious to understand what it's supposed to emulate.

Any help is appreciated.

2. BunchyMutt

Jul 3, 2014
    Ann Arbor, MI
    bump

3. From what I understand about univibes (which isn't much), the bias should adjust the intensity of the bulb and how it flashes, so you could get a deeper/more immediate throb. Whereas the depth control does that to a point, but really controls pitch modulation. Seems like a useful control to have. How the Zoom models that control is another story though.

4. BunchyMutt

Jul 3, 2014
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Thanks for that lead - it looks like it's indeed based on the UniVibe. I'll have to record some comparison samples to demonstrate how much of a change it is

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 27, 2021