1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What's the big deal about bass guitar?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by msquared, Mar 17, 2008.

1. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I mean, seriously? Can't we all just play a clarinet through an octave pedal and call it done?

:rolleyes:

2. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    OK, that made me laugh, and I do think it was needed.

Now, thread will be closed in 3,2,1...

3. I believe there are bass clarinets... I think there was one in the Beatles' "When I'm 64"

4. Bassenstien

Bassenstien

Jun 13, 2006
    Mississippi
    Ive been playing octave clarinet for years.

5. The only reason I pretend to play bass guitar is that 'Talkbassclarinetthroughanoctavepedal' just does not roll off the tongue.
    That & to annoy DBers by calling it a *bass*. W/conviction. :cool:

6. hey

hey

Jul 8, 2006
    Wisconsin
    Instruments without strings aren't cool enough.

7. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    I think the bass guitar came along at just the right time. It is an ideal instrument for the era of amplified music. If you play bass lines on a bass clarinet, or an upright bass, or a tuba, the sound leaves your instrument, travels through the air, is picked up by a microphone, travels through the wire and then comes out of the speaker. When you play electric bass, the pickup senses the string directly and then connects straight through to the speaker. So, for example, when you listen to a James Jamerson bass line on the radio, his fingers are, in a loose sense, directly wiggling your speakers. It is pretty amazing if you think about it!

8. The *BEST* bass tone I ever heard was at an outdoor music festival, the band was playing something bluesy.

I was trying to get a look at the bass player because the tone was phenomenal, but there was a tree blocking my view.

I get around to the other side of the tree and what do I see? Not a bass player, but a Tuba.

9. I wish Rickenbacker made a clarinet that would go thru an Octaver and straight into the PA.
    I'd be there in a flash.

10. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    Keyboardists can play it all in their left hand anyways

11. WRBass

WRBass

Dec 10, 2006
    Houston, Tx.
    Marcus Miller plays Bass Clarinet in some of his songs. :)

12. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    I just ordered one of these.

I'm thinking of doing a "relic" job on it.

What do you guys think? Yes or no?

[​IMG]

13. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    They got all sorts o' clarinets. I played bass clarinet, alto clarinet, and contra-bass clarinet in high school.

I play bass flute now with an octave pedal and a metal zone distortion for a christian doom metal group now.

14. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I like that thought a lot . . . .

15. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    Marcus Miller plays bass clarinet. He uses it on his records all the time.

16. BryanM

BryanM

Dec 15, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    That is the absolute best mental image I've gotten all month.

A+

17. WarMan

WarMan

Feb 18, 2008
    Plano, Texas
    Why would anyone want to buy a good clarinet that has been artificially reliced? I have the genuine article from the 60's. It's a French made Buffet. We all know the clarinets made today aren't as good. My clarinet was made by Clarence Leo Francois. Before he sold it to a big conglomerate. My clarinet has authentic cracks, tarnish chips and spit! It played "The Horse," and "Make Me Smile" back when the songs were popular. Mine is even pictured on the back of an album cover (ok it was a Junior High School Band) but it was an album! I wonder if I could sell it and make a fortune?;)

18. I've been thinking of putting in some Darkstars in my warmoth/parts clarinet. Has anyone done this yet? Slightly related, but different topic: does anyone know where I could get a Fender logo for my clarinet?

19. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA

Nuff said.

20. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Got mine custom:

CIMG2587copy.