What's the big deal with Sadowskys?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Growler, Aug 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Growler

Sep 26, 2004
    So what's the reasoning behind the hyper with Sadowskys? Are they really that much better than every other custom bass out there. Or is it the 'must have bass' for '05?

I bet there are tons of smaller luthiers out there that can make a bass just as good if not better that are basically unheard of, and would spend 10x the time working with you on it (taking your input reviewing designs).

We talk about going to small guitar shops to buy our strings, pickups, amps etc... and avoiding guitar center... seems like Sadowsky is the 'high end conformist'..

Anybody compared two high end custom basses made to the same requirements?

Not to sound negative, but this seems like the only custom bass that people talk about around here...

2. its kinda like women and their stupid purses,
    its cool casue it costs alot.
    other people that know how much it costs think your cool cause its expensive.

oh and they are great basses.

*runs from the flames*

3. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    To each his own...

There are those that love Sadowsky's and consider them worth the price of admission. There are those that have never even played a Sadowsky and would NEVER, EVER pay that kind of money for something they could have in a MIA/MIJ Fender Jazz.

No matter which group you're in, it's all good.
  4. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I've always been confused by this as well. Seems a bit outrageous to pay that price for basically a fender clone that sounds nice. No offense intended to any owners, to each their own. For me personally, if Im going to shell out that kinda money, I want something a little different from the norm.

Sadowsky's do a great job at what they are made for. They are not a Fender, even though they look like one. However, for my money, I think I can get just as good or better bass, with some unique or at least non-fender designs that will sound as good or better, and probably not as expensive.

Thats just me though :) People call me crazy for owning the Dingwall too, and Im all for getting what you want. If you want a fenderish jazz bass on steroids, then maybe a Sadowsky is for you.
  5. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    what is boils down too, if you don't want one or can't afford one, don't get one.
  6. BSR6P-Bob

Apr 5, 2005

There are a group of people that for the price, find them a better sounding and more playable value than Pre-CBS Fenders, which are what they need to be compared to.

Very simple. Buy what you like and be happy.

Search will also yield tons of info on this subject.
  7. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    No offense taken at all, but FWIW you can tell the difference in quality and playability. As far as how much that difference is worth... it's opinion, so it's impossible to be objective.

I can highly recommend F Basses.

Sadowsky is for me... F Bass is for me... my Peavey Palleadium is for me... my Valenti is for me... even my Steinberger Spirit is for me... hmmmm, should I throw Dingwall in there to? Those look pretty sweet.

8. beadgc

Oct 10, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    I think pretty much everything pro/con Sadowsky has been said to death on the dozens of other recent, similar threads

But I don't think it's the only boutique bass with a big following on this forum. Just check out the "MTD Gas Pix," "Show Your Spector" and the Pedulla, Lakland, etc. threads.

For some reason, Sadowsky dsscussions/arguments really seem to push peoples' buttons moreso than those about other makers.

Me, I love 'em all.
  9. strummer

Jul 27, 2005

I think that Sadowsky's original idea was to build a J-style bass with improvements. And that he has very sucessfully done.
    You might compare them to, say, a Mike Lull, a Lakland Joe Osborn or any other really well put together J-like bass.
    Those basses exist because a large number of players tike that style of bass, and also because in a recording situation many producers will instanly like your sound only becuse they think it comes from a Fender. Sad but still true.
    So anyway, I'm sure there are a lot of really talented builders out there who can build really good j-like basses. And who knows, you might find some to be, in your opinion, better than a Sadowsky.
    But remeber, Sadowsky has been around for a long time, and building the kind of rep he and his brand has isn't possible if you don't produce fantastic instruments.
  10. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Maybe you should, it was for me :)

Glad I didnt offend anyone, certainly wasnt my intention!
  11. 33degrees

Jun 4, 2005
    complete rubbish!
    how can u compare a 30 plus year old bass that had had a lot of time to dry and absorbs years or vibrations to a new coffee table with super glue poured over it and a couple of battery shoved into it to get some kind of tone????

(but i'd rather have a sadowsky any day of the week!) :D
  12. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    TalkBass seems to be unique in its over-the-top love of all things Sadowsky, and as such, Sadowsky gets a fairly high level of attention here. If a TB member isn't a Sadowsky-ite, it can appear to be a bit much at times. Of course, it's also easy to just ignore the Sadowsky threads if you're not interested.

As someone said above, Sadowsky has been around for a while now, he must be doing something right ;)
  13. 33degrees

Jun 4, 2005
    at the end of the day marcus miller still plays his 78 fender j, darrly jones still plays his white 66, jaco, etc. nuff said
  14. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    As far as I know, people like them because they're kind of like custom shop Fenders. They look like Fenders, can sound very Fender-y, but also offer additional, punchier tones, and are also supposedly very well-made. People like Fenders, hence people like Sadowskys.

Am I weird for not liking the Sad headstocks, by the way?
  15. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    I hope BigMikeW doesn't see this thread. His head would probably explode.
  16. michele

michele Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2004
    It seems to me that a lot of people can't forgive to Roger the fact that what he offers is "basicly" a Jazz bass ... maybe a pointed headstock and an extreme body design, or a pick-ups/preamp combination that offers 15 sounds (no matter that only 2 are useable) could satisfy the enormous need of "Right Price Tag" that these individuals have!
    As far as I know, in 25 years, Roger gave proof of integrity and honesty (he, he ... maybe you live in the wrong world, Roger) in his business, in the products he offers, in the way he deals with people.
    He saw a great demand for J basses by pro musicians and just started building what in his intention should be the best J-style bass in the world: 1st class wood choice, electronics, finish etc. etc.
    For me, he just reached his goal.
    I say it again... I pay the price for a Sadowsky because I pay to be fully satisfied everytime I pluck a note. To me satisfaction is priceless.
    Maybe it's time for a lot of people to ask themself sincerely: <<What I pay for?>>.
    Just my two cents.
  17. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Michele, don't forget about world-class service - Roger and his crew (even Dot) give the best in service.
  18. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Sadowsky build quality is higher than production-line Fender (that's what you're paying for). Also, to the discerning ear, a Sadowsky sounds different than a Fender. If you prefer the Fender tone it's better to get a Fender. But plenty of people prefer the Sadowsky tone and don't mind paying more for a better quality instrument.

There's no right or wrong here, just personal preference. I own Sadowsky and Fender and love 'em both.

Not at all. FWIW I think the Sadowsky headstock is by far the most elegant of the Fender "clones", but you're every bit as entitled not to like 'em. I certainly don't take that personally, and neither does Roger. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.